Julia S.’s Posts

Julia S.
on 8/7/18 7:06 am
Topic: RE: Rejecting Protein Supplements...?!

At about 3 weeks after surgery I found out I was lactose intolerant. So I had to opt for either whey protein isolate- it has no lactose or plant based proteins which are a little lower in protein content. I found Amazing Grass that has a peanut butter flavor that I really liked. Talk to your Dr or program and they can give you something for the cramps. Sorry you are going through this it is no fun.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Julia S.
on 8/4/18 2:13 pm
Topic: RE: What?s on your Saturday menu RNYers?

I did 2.8 miles this morning, it felt like a bit of a slog but I did it. I worked in the garden a little, but now it's almost too hot to be out there.

I was pretty much on target food wise yesterday. Today I popped some popcorn and had about a cup of it, but I should have eaten some protein first. But I'll be OK sitting at 58g protein and 458 calories so I'll finish up the day on target.

I guess part of me wanted this to be easier. I didn't want to have to obsess about food or working out but it seems like I have to be slightly obsessive to make my tool work for me. The weight does not just magically come off, and I'm not where I thought I would be at 6 months out. Of course I wanted it to happen overnight, but we all know that doesn't happen. I'm half way to my goal, I've lost 70lbs and I should appreciate and celebrate that, of course without food. And I'm inching ever closer to Onederland.

I was trying to find a cheap full length mirror, I haven't had one for a while. I couldn't find one at my local Home Depot even though the website said there were 13 in stock. I'll try another store maybe later. Funny thing is I'm not one of those people who sees themselves as fat, my self image was from when I lost 90lbs and maintained it for 5 years. I still saw myself as a size 10-12 and would be shocked when I would see the fat lady in the mirror. I'm starting to look closer to the image in my head, but still have a long ways to go.

QOTD: still so new to this, I have nothing to contribute. But I come here for the support and sense of community, and kindness. I don't have many friends and I wouldn't survive if I didn't come here. So thank you everyone.

Julia S.
on 8/3/18 11:51 am
Topic: RE: What's on your (PHOTO) Friday Menu, RNYers?

Totally stressful week but today I work from home so I can de-stress a little. I didn't have to be up so early to walk so it wasn't dark. I'm working with a coach from my insurance company to find ways to handle my stress. Hoping some suggestions will work and I can not let this stuff get to me so much.

The scale was kind to me today and I dropped another pound, inching closer to onederland and I'm about half way to my goal weight. I need to focus on the things that are going right and let the rest of it go.

Out of yogurt and some other staples so I'm headed to the grocery store a little later.

QOTD: I've tried not to shop very much so no real bargains lately.

Looking forward to the weekend!

Julia S.
on 8/3/18 8:35 am

I found those chips too at Grocery Outlet, was surprised to see them.

Julia S.
on 8/2/18 8:30 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Thursday Menu, RNYers?

OK yesterday wasn't as bad as I thought. 1198 calories and 78g protein 23g fat but lots of carbs 145g. Today will be much better.

Julia S.
on 8/2/18 7:10 am

Image result for midvale school for the gifted

QOTD: One of my favorites.

My surgeon wants to do another EGD in a few weeks, not looking forward to it. Since I was too awake last time he will have an anesthesiologist this time. Hopefully the ulcer will be gone, unfortunately it was not caused by bacteria.

I felt like I was losing my mind yesterday at work. Too much noise and distraction, ended up having stomach pains that doubled me over, can you say stress. I need to not let it get to me, but it is easier said than done.

Accountability was bad yesterday, I haven't even recorded it yet. I know I was low on protein and I went to Olive Garden for dinner, I didn't eat much but it is the first time I've had pasta since surgery. I ate 1 1/2 portobello ravioli, but I also had a drink. Back on track today.

Julia S.
on 8/1/18 8:17 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Wednesday Menu, RNYers?

I see my surgeon today he should have to results of the biopsy of my ulcer. Not sure what that will tell me. I've never had one before and I know stress contributes to it. On Monday all I wanted to do is retire, I'm not old enough and I couldn't afford it but I've got to do something. I'm tired of feeling overwhelmed at work, too many projects and not enough time. Plus being a contractor I have no benefits, no overtime, no holidays or vacation and I desperately need a vacation. I'm trying to get to the place where I can just say it's in my pile and I'll get to it when I can, but that is a hard thing for me to do.

I've been walking everyday before work, I'm getting worried that soon it will be too dark to walk outside. Today is overcast so it was much darker at 5AM than usual, I don't know why but I was worried about my safety this morning, but I didn't see anyone. Part of my walk is along a trail that is in the trees so even darker than usual.

Someone talked about being affected by television, yes sometimes I am but more so by books. With my personal history of rape and domestic violence some things trigger me, so I have to be careful to know that it is not me but a book and someone else and not take it on. Which is not always an easy thing for me. And I have had a movie trigger my PTSD.

Julia S.
on 8/1/18 7:49 am

I love what you did with the gnomes!

Julia S.
on 7/31/18 12:56 pm
Topic: RE: What's on your Tuesday Menu, RNYers?

I read the first one and was not impressed. Life is too short to read something that isn't that well written. Sorry!

Julia S.
on 7/30/18 8:31 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Monday Menu, RNYers?

QOTD: I watched the first 8 episodes of Orange is the New Black.

Today was day 7 of walking 2+ miles in the mornings. This morning was a real slog, it was still warm from yesterday we got close to 100 and didn't cool down last night. Yesterday I did 2.3 miles and then mowed my lawn, hung out 2 loads of laundry and I spent the rest of the day inside. Even at about 7pm it was still 96 by my thermometer. Heat advisory in effect until 10PM tonight.

Struggling with work, today I just didn't want to go to work. I've got multiple projects I should be working on but getting started it difficult. As usual a coworker brought in bagels, and has to tell me they are there. Bread is my weakness and I love bagels so I'm just ignoring them. He knows I've had WLS and sometimes apologizes for telling me, but it almost feels like a bit of sabotage, or maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

Julia S.
on 7/28/18 3:50 pm

QOTD: I took 3 years of Spanish and can barely remember a thing, better at written words than ever speaking it. An Ex of mine spoke Spanish as a first language and I always wanted to learn, tried everything and finally gave up.

Made 2.3 mile walk this morning before it got too hot. Currently in the high 90's so I'm indoors I've been watching the new season of Orange is the New Black and trying not to binge watch it all this weekend. It's supposed to be 100 degrees tomorrow so I need to get anything outdoors done early.

My accountability wasn't too great yesterday I was under on protein 61g but ended up at 1000 calories so not as bad as I feared. Today I'm trying to get back on track.

Feeling restless and wanting to do something, but I can't think of anything. Plenty of projects around the house but I can't get myself motivated to complete them.

Julia S.
on 7/26/18 8:09 am

I've been walking in the mornings before work, it's the only time it's cool enough. The last two days with Bruce ****burn in my ear. This morning it was really peaceful, I didn't see another person my whole walk. I have a trail that is behind my house but I have to walk on the road about a half a mile to get to the trail. Sky this morning was purple to pink to pale blue and really pretty but probably just the pollution from the wild fires.

Work is still stressing me out, even though I tell myself to just do one thing at a time and work at my pace but that is really hard to do. Everyone wants everything done now. I usually try to get up every hour and walk around the building but I didn't do it yesterday and I could really tell the difference. I like to play World of Warcraft to get my frustrations out, but they've messed with the game so that all it does is make my angry. My artifact weapon is useless, my armor which it took me a long time to accumulate went from level 928 to 205, they messed with my talents. For people who don't play it probably sounds silly, but I worked hard to get to this point only to have it taken away. So I posted my displeasure on Twitter for all the good it will do. I'm ready to just quit, but I probably won't.

Finally beyond the 3 week stall and have dropped a few pounds which feels good. Accountability has been good, but I have had a glass of wine the last two nights which I need to cut out.

Julia S.
on 7/26/18 7:40 am

On his 50 birthday he rode in a race, not sure how he did. Yes I too had the biggest crush on him.

Julia S.
on 7/24/18 7:49 am

Bread is my weakness, I have a bread maker and pre-op I could make a loaf of bread and eat half of it in a day. And fini**** in about 3 days. I still have a small piece of french bread occasionally.

Julia S.
on 7/24/18 7:45 am

QOTD: I hate beets pickled or otherwise, they are my Mom's favorite. Mushrooms except for portobello's. Liver also one of my Mom's favorites I no longer eat meat so not a problem, but the smell grosses me out.

I got up early and walked 2 miles, it's the only time it's relatively cool it's supposed to be in the high 90's again today. It was hard but it felt so good. My intention yesterday was to go to the gym right after work, but I had such a headache I went home instead. Work is stressing me out, too much to do and not enough time. I'm trying to just let it go and not get so stressed. I can only do one thing at a time, so I have a pile and I'll get to it when I get to it.

Yesterday I was 73g protein and 803 calories, not too bad. I'll stay on track today.

Julia S.
on 7/23/18 8:47 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Monday Menu, RNYers?

I was pretty compliant this weekend. I managed to get over 10,000 steps both days. Went walking early on both days before it got too hot. I forgot how much it makes me feel better. Now I just need to get myself to the gym for lap swimming. I'm planning on going this afternoon.

Was trying to work on my closet and ended up with 4 trips to Home Depot on Saturday, I was too tired after that to work on it. But Sunday I did get it about halfway done. I have shoe shelves that take up too much room so I decided to take them apart, cut the shelves in half and use the brackets and hangers to put them in the closet. I still need to finish the bottom half, but I'm pleased with the results so far.

Julia S.
on 7/23/18 7:11 am
Topic: RE: A whole lotta...constipation

I had the same issue but for me it was caused by the ferrous gluconate, and taking calcium without magnesium. When I switched to ferrous fumarate and a calcium with magnesium it helped. I also take a stool softener AM & PM and I've finally got it under control. Constipation is horrible, I'm sorry you are going through this and I hope you get it under control.

Julia S.
on 7/21/18 9:26 am

I know what I'll be doing later, love Orange is the New Black. I'll try not to binge it all in one weekend.

Yesterday was way too many calories 1207 but I hit my 75g of protein. Started the day off right did a 2 mile walk, I've been neglecting my cardio as in not doing any. I also got my new swimsuit yesterday so I'd like to go swim some laps this weekend.

QOTD: My teeth are OK, my bottom teeth in the front crowd each other and I always get excessive plaque no matter what I do. I had 3 wisdom teeth out and 1 root canal I would pass on all of them if I could. I have multiple crowns and old fillings. But everything has been stable for a while.

I will work on my accountability today.

Everyone have a great day!

Julia S.
on 7/19/18 1:08 pm

I'm with you on the subscription issue. I refuse to buy Office 365, basically you are renting the program. I have Office 2016 on one computer and 2013 on the other. The copy of Office 365 is purchased by work and I need it to access some things, like our Sharepoint but if I didn't have to I wouldn't use it. I want the disc or license key so I don't have to pay for it every year.

Julia S.
on 7/19/18 9:29 am

QOTD: I have a MacBook Pro, which I don't use much anymore- too slow and not compatible with most things. My favorite laptop was a Sony Vaio which they don't make anymore, I still have one but it only works when plugged in. I mostly use my desktop that was built for gaming, and I also have a desktop at work. I don't do Apple anymore, not enough memory and no flexibility. I have a Samsung Note 8 phone that I love-gotta have that stylus, a 8" Samsung Tab A that I have with me most of the time. I read most of my books on it. Thank you to the library services here.

I was a little bit off track yesterday but ended up at 1000 calories and a little low in protein. But today is another day, so I'll not beat myself up and be better today.

Julia S.
on 7/18/18 2:30 pm

I see the guy with the 1200 calorie a day diet plan disappeared and so did his post. No one on this forum was willing to buy into his plan with way too many calories and carbs, all of us are too smart for that.

Julia S.
on 7/18/18 8:55 am, edited 7/18/18 2:08 am

I made a huge mistake yesterday. My coworker constantly brings in bagels and donuts, and I weakened and had an applesauce cake donut. Yes I ate the whole thing and was in misery for the rest of the night. It didn't set well with my ulcer and basically doubled me over in pain. I told my coworker to remind me of the pain in case I am ever tempted again.

I ended up drinking several protein waters to get my protein in. Ended up at 678 calories and 89g protein so I was good for the day.

Today there will be no extras.

QOTD: Windows looking out on the street and new construction across the street. The one window is not seal well so it always is cloudy. The apartments across the street now block the view of the west hills, so and the rest is a big maple tree blocking most of my view. But at least it is a window.

Julia S.
on 7/18/18 8:47 am

I have a stainless steel sink and I hate it. It shows everything and always looks dirty even when it isn't. I would love to replace it with a ceramic one. Have you looked at farm sinks? I'm not sure if I like them or not. I also need to replace my faucet running extremely slow now, and would love to have quartz or granite counter tops. But it's not in the budget for now. Good luck on your remodel.

Julia S.
on 7/17/18 7:43 am

QOTD: My hair is almost to my waist, no bangs. It's wavy and does what it wants, the only time it's straight is after I see my hair dresser or I use my straightening brush,which I don't do often. I've always had a little wave in the back of my hair but I swear after radiation treatments it is much wavier. Knock on wood I haven't lost any more hair than usual since WLS. I had long hair until I was 25 and then cut it off, I didn't want to allow anyone to grab me by it again, and after my head was beat against the wall I lost a bunch of it and was very discouraged. About 11 years ago I read a book and there was a line in it " I used to believe my strength was in my hair" and it just hit me that I wanted long hair again.

Today I'm only up about 1.5 lbs, so I'm moving in the right direction and hopefully not stalled for long. Hard to imagine you can gain weight on 900 calories a day.

I was going to finally get my courage up to go to the gym and swim and discovered my swimsuit is 3 sizes too big, so I've ordered another one and it will be here this week. The other suits I have are too small, but I'll get there soon. I'm just going to suck it up and go to the gym, to hell with my social anxiety disorder. Swimming is one of my greatest pleasures, it soothes me and clears my mind.

Food has been good, making 75+ g of protein a day and about 900 calories a day.

I still hate my job and wonder how much the stress has contributed to my ulcer. I wish I could retire, but I can't get social security for at least 1 1/2 years or medicare for 4 1/2 years. My health insurance is too expensive and my current job does not offer benefits, holidays or vacation. And I really need a vacation. I've been looking for a new job, but I don't want to have to drive any farther. I have the best commute now only about 3 miles, and I like most of the people I work with. I just need to not let it get to me.

Julia S.
on 7/13/18 12:50 pm

QOTD: My NSV for the day is that I have 2 huge boxes of clothes varying in size from the last time I lost weight, size 12 pants & M tops and up. I was able to find about a laundry basket full that I can now wear. So I emptied out some drawers with clothes that are now too big. I now have 3 kitchen bags full of clothes to give away.

It's working the weight is coming off more slowly than I would like, and I'm battling depression over the ulcer and a 2 lb increase on the scale. The meds for the ulcer threw off my vitamin regimen so I'm trying to adjust and get all my vitamins in. I haven't been very successful. Just want to hide in a corner and cry!

I'll get over it.