Do we have to focus on protein forever or just during the losing phase?

farewell2fat
on 3/9/11 8:43 am, edited 3/9/11 8:44 am - Apopka, FL
I know we need protein to burn fat, not muscle. But do we need it for the rest of our natural born lives?? I was thinking after the 1st year in which we supposedly lose the majority of our weight, we can relax a little w/our protein intake or no??

Marie B.
on 3/9/11 8:58 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that we will always need to watch our protein.  Since we cannot eat all that much, we will always need to be certain we get enough protein.  Plus, if you drop dpwn on protein you will likely increase your carb intake, which may lead to weight regain.  Just my understanding.
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

PBJ
on 3/9/11 9:04 am
Great question!  I agree with Marie..it is a life time change for us!..and the way we will keep our weight off.

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/11 9:14 am
The truth seems to be a little different for all of us.  Some can get away with eating less protein, and more carbs, most of us will regain if we do this.  You have to keep the same eating habits you learn in the losing phase for life, failure do this causes many to regain their weight.  Regain is a very real possibility, you just need to look on the maintenance board to see how many gave gained some weight back.  I never hear that happening over eating too much protein, it is always the carbs that get us. 
diane S.
on 3/9/11 9:38 am
I asked my surgeon this and he said the 70 g protein per day rule is for life. So this is what I have been doing in my maintenance phase. About half the time I can get it in from foods but about half the time in the evening I need a protein coco to get to my number.
Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Kristy R.
on 3/9/11 10:22 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I had my pre-op nutrition visit yesterday and was told that I will need to focus on getting the protien in for the rest of my life, along with the supplements.  I am totally willing to make that commitment.
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

countrygolden
on 3/9/11 11:31 am - Amboy, WA
I was also told that 70g per day was for life and was not negotiable!

Starting Weight-228.6, SW-221.4, CW-173 GW-125
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views