Sleeve vs. Lap Band

msangie76
on 3/29/11 9:23 am
I had the Lap Band but it was removed due to complications.  I was wanting to know if anyone had the Lap Band prior to getting the sleeve.  I would like to know how you are doing with the sleeve and how it is better for you than the band was.  Even though I lost weight with my band, I wouldnt consider going through that again.  I am considering the sleeve but I would like to hear some experiences from people who had the band before getting the sleeve. 
bursonc
on 3/29/11 9:50 am
Look forward to reading comments here.  I had to have my band removed due to complications also.  I am scheduled for a sleeve on June 13th.  I want to find out more info also.
NuevaMujer714
on 3/29/11 10:21 am - Irvine, CA
 Hi All well Im in the same boat I will be having my sleeve 04/25 , I recommend is asking everyone is awesome and there are Persons here that are 4 years out

One thing I can say is Research Research
XOXO Thanks for the Support            
sleeve genie
on 3/29/11 10:47 am - Alhambra, CA
There are a lot of people on this site that had problems with the band and got the sleeve and they LOVE it,  they make comments like,  the difference is like day and night.   They all LOVE their sleeve and i'm sure you'll here from lots of them.  :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Natscat
on 3/29/11 11:01 am
I had the band....it was awful, felt stuck all the time, but still managed to not lose well. I am SO HAPPY WITH THE SLEEVE. I am 3 months out today. I lost ten pounds in the two weeks prior to surgery and I have lost 35 since then. I did not lose my appetite, but I have such a feeling of contrOl now. It feels like a normal stomach, I just get full faster! No sliming, no pain, no feeling stuck and hungry. It is a HuGe difference from the band. I can't wait to get to goal . I am down from a 22 to a loose 16. I absolutely positively LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!
Karen M.
on 3/29/11 11:52 am - Rockwall, TX
DS on 12/01/14
I had the lap band in 2005 and suffered with it for 5 years before having it removed last June. Lost a little, gained it back, then got very sick and dehydrated before telling my surgeon I couldn't do it anymore. I was sleeved on March 14th so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but I can tell you I haven't had any of the "stuck" feelings, "slimming" or just plain "throwing up my guts". I've already lost 30 lbs and am looking forward to my new life with my sleeve. Good luck!

HW:  268             SW:  268              CW:  230.02             5'5"                   48 yrs old              

Karen M.
on 3/29/11 11:53 am - Rockwall, TX
DS on 12/01/14
Sorry, that's supposed to say "sliming".

HW:  268             SW:  268              CW:  230.02             5'5"                   48 yrs old              

ot2005byrd
on 3/29/11 12:07 pm, edited 3/29/11 12:07 pm
Run don't walk and get the sleeve. The band as you know is not all that its hyped up to be. I have only had sleeve for 4 wks and love it. Best part is you are not hungary at all. Portion sizes are small 2tbs and I feel at this point I wouldn't even think about eating around the sleeve (don't think its possible) but maybe some of the long timers can let ya know that part. I was scheduled to do the sleeve the 1st time and let people talk me out of it. This round only a few people knew that I have had the sleeve done. Just make your decision based on what you are feeling and want and nobody else. Cause the people trying to talk you out of it probally never had a weight problem as was my case. I love the sleeve so far. I'm sure it has its up and downs like all WL plans, but this one is a real winner.
LittleMissSunshine
on 3/29/11 4:12 pm
You might try asking over on the Revision Forum too... there are a lot of former bandsters who now have sleeves over there.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

kdolphin
on 3/30/11 12:16 am - FL
 Had my band to sleeve revision last month and what a difference.  Since everyone is different I can only tell you what I have experienced.

Revision surgery by Dr Aceves went fairly smooth and the recovery was much less painful for me.  Woke up from surgery got up walked and was very surprised that I actually felt that good and had such limited pain.  Never felt like I was going to throw up.  IV removed the second day along with my drain.  The only other time I took pain medication was for my flight home.  Took one pill before I left for the airport and 1 more when I was in Dallas before the last flight to Florida.  There were about 5-6 others in the hospital and some were much sicker and in a lot of pain.  

My 5 weeks has been fairly easy, if that is the correct word.  At first hard to drink and get my protein but every day it got a little better.  I can eat about 1-2 oz of real food and even though I read on this site so much it is really true that is all I can or want to eat.  Haven't been hungry and have to make myself eat 3 times a day.

In my opinion the sleeve has the restriction I was looking for with the band.  So far so good and with all the great knowledge on OH it makes it much easier to learn without having to much trial and error.  My only regret is not doing the revision sooner as I gained a lot of my weight back with an empty band due to my poor choices.

Good Luck
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 74 views