pre-op diet

daddysgrl
on 4/7/11 10:51 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Im in the middle of my 2 week pre-op diet. My surgery is scheduled for 4/13/11. I only lost two pounds the first week and feel completly bummed. Here I am starving and i only lost 2 POUNDS!! Is there an amount of weight I am expected to lose? Am i doing something wrong?
B: Protein shake
L: Protein shake
 Snack: sm portion of fruit
D: usually chicken breat(broiled and 1/2 c steamed veggies
Could_It_Be
on 4/7/11 10:53 am
 What did your doctor say the purpose of the pre-op diet is?
Is it to shrink you liver? To show you can lose weight? Prepare your body for surgery? Just plain old, losing weight?

From what I've read on here, it seems the different docs have different reasons.
daddysgrl
on 4/7/11 10:56 am - Flagstaff, AZ
The main goal was to shrink my liver. But i can't see my liver dang it!!
sleeve genie
on 4/7/11 10:59 am - Alhambra, CA
I think as long as you are not doing any carbs you'll be fine.  The main purpose of the diet is to eliminate carbs as they make the outside of the liver slippery'.  Since they need to keep it out of the way, its right there by the tummy,  they don't want it all slippery so its easier to keep it out of the way.  They don't want it to slip off the little thing that holds it out of the way.   As long as your doctor hasn't told you to lose x amounts of lbs on it you should be fine.  Congratulations on your surgery    :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

aklcajungal
on 4/7/11 12:05 pm - LA
Hey I was a little discouraged about the pre op diet.. I stuck to only pop cicles , sugar free jello, and pudding.. and chicken broth.. it didn't come off quickly but once my body was cleaned from all the fat and carbs I ended up losing 21 lbs on the day of surgery... I had to have the diet before surgery because my liver.. keep going.. it will come off.. your stomach will start to  shrink! and then you want much food at all...

good luck w/ your surgery.. if you have any questions let me know.. i had my surgery Tuesday..

take care and prayers coming your way!

Anna
Could_It_Be
on 4/7/11 11:03 am
  <-- Xray glasses to watch your liver shrink!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views