Overweight and Invisible continued...

MN_Mama
on 4/6/11 11:10 am

Was speaking with my husband on just this topic the other day.   I'm just over 5 weeks after surgery, but I've lost over 60 lbs from before and after.   I was not overweight as a young person, just after a severe running injury sidelined me, so I've experienced life as both a "normal" sized person ( as though that were really a trueism-- bah!) and as a plus sized, morbidly obese person.

If people are uncomfortable with your weight, they may ignore, avoid, or brush you off, I believe out of embarassment or ignorance/prejudice.   Either way, I have come to realize it is their problem, not mine, and if I have the time and energy to spend on it, I try to offer a silent prayer of forgiveness and let it go.   It may not change or help them, but I know it is good for me.

In the same vein, when they come to me after I lose weight wanting my opinion, time, energy and attention, I will offer the same prayer and, again, let it go.   Once more, it may do nothing for others, but I know it will help me become a more compassionate and peaceful person.

I chose to begin this new phase for me:  my health, my mobility and my family.  It's all about me!  Not out of selfishness, but I won't be here, much less be able to help others if I don't take care of myself first. 

If others choose to celebrate, great.  If others choose to ignore, that's still great, because what matters is my goals, my choices, my challenges, failures, and victories.

Here's to our victories, one step at a time! 

(Thanks for all your messages.  I just found you on Monday and have found much to learn and think on in just 2 days. )

sleeve genie
on 4/6/11 11:42 am - Alhambra, CA
Sounds to me like you have a great attitude and realistic expectations and i'm sure you'll do great.   You're so right,  this we do for ourselves and our loved ones so we will be here for them and able to fully participate in life and not sit on the sidelines.   :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

babzmcgee
on 4/6/11 11:45 am
 Bravo! Great attitude.
OH Support Group Leader

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views