Tomorrow is the big day

suzu2
on 4/10/11 10:56 am - MO
Tomorrow is the big day!  It does not seem quite real yet that tomorrow will be a life changing day: that I will be having most of my stomach removed...Eeeeek...

It is exciting and scary.  I have been preparing for this for months, and now it is nearly here.  I have been on a liquid protein diet for two weeks, and today I did my "Cleanse" (not so bad since I have only had liquids for two weeks).  I have to report to the hospital at 5:15 tomorrow morning, and my surgery is scheduled for 7:30.  Does anyone know about how long it should take?  I have heard anything from 1-4 hours.

Thanks!
Susan

heardb
on 4/10/11 11:05 am - GA
Mine was a hour and half, but I was in recovery for 5 hours.
suthernqueen
on 4/10/11 11:09 am
I never really asked my doc but my family said I was gone for 5 hrs. Not sure I was in surgery the entire time.

Good luck and pray you have a quick and speedy recovery.

sunny10
on 4/10/11 11:19 am
I went into the OR at 9am and woke up in the recovery room at 12 noon.  Good Luck on your surgery...
Sunny10    
vjb1952
on 4/10/11 11:48 am - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
Congratulations on your big day tomorrow!       I think the time for any particular surgery depends on what the doctor finds once he's in there.  In my case, he found some white spots on my liver that he had to take a tissue sample to be biopsied...plus I had a hiatal hernia that was bigger than thought, so he had to take a stitch there...that was 2 extra things that came up during my surgery.  He had estimated mine to be about 2 hours, and I think it was closer to 2 1/2 hours.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery...will look forward to reading your updates!  Viv 

vjb1952

elzbthn1
on 4/10/11 12:53 pm
I was sleeved last Monday. I had to be there at 5.30am for a 9.30 surgery, the surgery took just under an hour for me. I was in my room by about 12.30/1pm I believe.
You will be fine, relax, sending positive thoughts and prayers for you that it is uneventful like mine:)
I am now sipping cream of chcken soup :)
Liz
Week 1 10 pounds,week 2 4.4,week 3 2.2 week 4 1.6,week 5 6 week 6 .2 week 7 .6 week 8 4 week 9 .2 up!! week 10 3.4 week 11 .6 week 12 1.8 week 13 2 week 14 1 week 15 1.8 week 16 1.4 week 17 0 week 18 3.4 week 19 .4 pound lost!
Month 1 = 18.2
Month 2= 10.8
Month 3 = 5.6
Month 4 = 6.2

MaryKedz
on 4/10/11 1:22 pm - Lancaster, NY
I am having my surgery tomorrow as well and I am too nervous to sleep.  I love reading these posts because most of them are very encouraging.  But of course some have had problems and I am afraid that will be me.  I got through the two weeks of liquid diet and, after the first couple of days, it really wasn't that bad.  And I am already 11 pounds closer to my goal.  Now that I am used to not eating, I am hoping keeping up the liquids for a couple more days will be easy.  I am just looking forward the "full liquids" stage and getting to eat some yogurt and sugar free pudding.  Right now that sounds like heaven.  Good luck to both of us. 
“...but with God all things are possible."  - Matthew 19:26                        
suzu2
on 4/10/11 1:58 pm - MO
I hope you get some sleep Mary.  Like you, after the first few days I didn't think the liquid diet was all that bad.  I was so excited about my progress on it that I think the hardest part about the liquids only part after surgery will be getting it all in through out the day.  Some Yogurt does sound pretty good though. 

It was so strange when I was drinking my last glass of water earlier this evening.  I realized that that was my last time to be able to chug a glass of water EVER...

Good luck tomorrow, and I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.  It is like we have the same birthday now :)

BJUpNorth
on 4/10/11 1:44 pm, edited 4/10/11 1:45 pm - MN
Suzu2 and MaryKedz,
I will be praying for both of you tomorrow. Everything will go fine, remember power of positive thinking. This is the start of a wonderful journey for you!
I was just sleeved last Tuesday and I was in surgery for about 1 1/2 hours or so. My surgeon also found a hiatal hernia, so he repaired that for me too. I got a two for one.
Just remember, everyone is a little different, so don't be too worried. Relax and go with the flow. Sip, walk, rest, repeat!!

Best Wishes,
Brenda

suzu2
on 4/10/11 1:59 pm - MO
Thank you for the words of encouragement Brenda!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views