Measuring food and tracking

kellypolllitt
on 5/4/11 7:43 am
I am curious.  When you measure your food you are, I think, supposed to measure by volume, right?  If that is the case how do you enter into a tracking system like myfitnesspal.com  - isn't that done by weight?  I have not tried this yet as I am pre-surgery.  Do most of you measure your protein by volume and by weight to accurately keep track of your protein count?

Thanks,
Kelly
USAF Wife
on 5/4/11 7:51 am
The counts are similar in some situations, but yes, I've always measured by volume because that's what my stomach holds food by. Some things like deli meat do not have the same weight as volume so some of the numbers were admittedly off for protein, I always tried to get in as much as possible, and I'm sure I lacked a few grams here and there.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

kellypolllitt
on 5/4/11 7:58 am
So do you track your food using an electronic type tracker?  If so, do you put in round about amounts?  Maybe it is easier to use a handwritten journal because then you can look up foods by volume?  I am confused

Thanks for answering!!
USAF Wife
on 5/4/11 8:57 am
I used myfitnesspal.com and kind of "guessed" on some of it. I did experiment with it as well with weight vs. volume, and some of the foods were very close.

Most meat counts also are figured pre-cooked for weight so we have to take that into account as well.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

kellypolllitt
on 5/4/11 10:01 am
Thank you!!  That makes sense!
MacMadame
on 5/4/11 10:37 am - Northern, CA
MyFitnessPal lets you enter items in many ways. For packaged foods, it's based off the package label so it might be by weight but it might be by volume depending on what it is. For example, for deli meat, it usually lets you enter in how many slices you had.

Lots of items have more than one way to enter the amount, too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MediumSoon
on 5/4/11 12:54 pm - TX
I use fatsecret.com. I have to estimate sometimes but I'm sure it's close. When you're talking about a grilled chicken breast if you're off by a tiny bit there is no meaningful difference in calories, protein, or anything else.

KathyA999
on 5/4/11 1:29 pm
I measure both.  A piece of chicken, for example, or other dense meats I measure by weight.  Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc., by volume.  It's true that sleeve capacity is determined by volume, but I learned pretty quick how much I can eat according to weight, LOL, for those things I measure that way.  And being accurate in terms of ounces in weight (vs. ounces in volume) gives me a more accurate calorie count.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views