Alcohol Question

Randy G.
on 5/20/11 1:04 pm - TX
VSG on 04/26/11 with
For those of you that enjoyed the occasional drink, how long after WLS did you wait before you indulged your self in a drink or two.   Not talking an all nighter just a drink or two.
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 1:15 pm, edited 5/20/11 1:18 am
It may/likely will slow weight loss a bit.. but by 2mo+ or so you should be fine having one.. With that said, many skip it until maintenance or close to it due to the calories etc.. I will have one on special occasions only, but that's me- and I was a regular drinker. I just want to maximize what I can lose up front. I had a small sip of red wine at 3 weeks, and it felt like I had a shot of bourbon, belly heat wise. I had a a couple sips of bourbon on my bday recently, no issue. Your milage may vary!
sleeve genie
on 5/20/11 1:50 pm - Alhambra, CA
I had surgery Memorial Day weekend and had my first drink on Labor Day,  have had a drink on a few occasions.  For me it was no different than having a drink pre op but i have heard others say it hit them much harder  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

MediumSoon
on 5/20/11 2:21 pm - TX
I got permission at 6 weeks post op.

Kelby F.
on 5/20/11 3:11 pm - Minot, ND
 I had 1/2 class of chardonnay at about 6 or 7 weeks out. To be honest I don't find alcohol affects me any differently than it did pre-op! My dream was to be a cheap drunk, but no luck there for me! 

That sounded horrible.. I'm not a drunk... lol... I think you all know what I'm trying to say...

Inserting my foot into my mouth now!! lol 

I'm out!

~Kelby~       HW: 356 SW: 330 CW:231 GW: 175 I'm 5'6"

"Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be."

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 4:25 pm - CA
**** I need a drink right now!
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/11 12:19 am
 3 or 4 months for me.  Be careful, you will absorb quickly and it will sneak up on you.  I've honestly had 2 blackout periods in the past couple of months (several hours, BYOB and establishments of questionable moral integrity were involved) NEVER happened to me before.

That drink or two can and will put u on ur ass depending on what it is (crown and coke zero is my poison of choice).  Also, from experience, I'm terrified of addiction transfer, it's very easy to fall into the habit of getting buzzed regularly because it's so easy.  Not only is it empty calories, it also places an extra load on your kidneys and liver which are already working OT.

I guess anything in moderation is alright, just be careful.
johnbertak
on 5/21/11 4:14 am - MD
I went 7 mo. alcohol-free including 4.5 mo. post-op.  Then a celebration vacation at an all-inclusive resort for a week with wifey - I indulged in a lot of different types of drinks - but never overdid it with anything; never got any buzz at all, really.  I'm a formerly big-drinker, and it was a major source of empty calories for me.  Oddly, going "cold turkey" off of liquor has not been difficult; now, I'll have a glass of wine for a single ****tail of choice, but not often.  I'm down 135 lbs. in just under 6 mos.post-op.  I still plan to drink - just not as much as before - so I'll buy better Scotch....
Pop-Pop

cweintra
on 5/21/11 4:44 am - West Bloomfield, MI
i just attempted a few drinks last week for the first time - im 10wks out. I found that a mixed liquor drink hit me harder than a glass of wine but one full glass had me buzzily happy :) No problems.

Carly Rose

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views