Pre-op... low carb... not enough calories?

kanga003
on 5/28/11 11:19 am
I've been using myfittnesspal (thanks again!) since Monday...

I have been under 1400 calories since Tuesday, and under 1200 for the past 3 days... but I'm not hungry... or when I am it is just "munchie" and I drink more of chew gum!

I am having too much fat, but still less than I ever did before!  I have been doing low carb for about 9 weeks and have just started tracking...

My weightloss has REALLY slowed over the last 2 weeks, but I've lost about 45lbs... do you think I should up the calories?  I just don't know...

Thanks!!!
sleeve genie
on 5/28/11 11:32 am - Alhambra, CA
hey sweetie,  our bodies will do this in its own time, but no i don't think you should increase your cals,   most recommend 500=800 cals a day,  hard to do   i try to keep it around 1,000 but def no more than that if you want to lose,  unless you are burning crazy lbs exercising   you'll do great i'm sure  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

kanga003
on 5/28/11 11:37 am
Thanks!  I know that if I had thr surgery already it would be okay... but I am still pre-op... I guess I am just really in teh low carb zone or something...

I just want to do it right!
sleeve genie
on 5/28/11 11:40 am - Alhambra, CA
Oh sorry sweetie, i saw you lost 42 lbs and thought you were post op   my bad,  i think you're doing great,  just stay away from the processed stuff and you should continue to do great  :o) jeani

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

kanga003
on 5/28/11 11:46 am
No problem!  Thanks for the responses!!!

The only processed stuff that I have been flirting with is sone of the Atkins bars, pre made protien shakes (not atkins, but reccomended by my NUT, and some sugar free candy here and there...)... I do try to limit that though...

Do you think that's okay?
sleeve genie
on 5/28/11 11:54 am - Alhambra, CA
I think you're doing great sweetie,,  its so much easier post op  :o) jeani

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

LittleMissSunshine
on 5/28/11 11:51 am
What are you doing for exercise... how long, what intensity, how many calories are you burning in each session?

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

kanga003
on 5/28/11 12:04 pm
I am not excercising nearly enough... I was doing good for a few weeks, but I had to have my second carpal tunnel surgery 2 weeks ago and I couldn't do my regular routine (not that it was anything special... I did an "easy shaper" 45 min DVD workout... with resistance bars and bands and such) plus walking... but I walk pushing my daughter on a tricycle (with a bar for mommy) so it's not too fast.

For the last two weeks it's been just walking (hang my head in shame) I've got a few more days til it is safe to go back to my other stuff...) 

I will be having surgery late June/early July :-)  I"ll have to get crackin'
mysticblue
on 5/28/11 12:58 pm
I have never really understood the whole "up the calories to lose weight" thing. Weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories out so increasing your calories shouldn't help you. That being said, I am a big believer in mixing things up. Our bodies have a memory and it we eat exactly the same calories every day our bodies will adjust. Same for doing the same exercise every day. So, while I try to never go above 1,000 calories a day, I have varying calories throughout the week - sometimes 600, sometimes 1000, sometimes 800, etc. And I try to do different exercises and mix it up on the treadmill and it seems to really work.

We are all very different with this surgery and how our bodies react to weight loss. Since you are pre-op it is a good time to start tracking - I think you will start to see what works and what doesn't. I have also found that my weight loss chart looks like a downward wave, with definite times of greater loss and times of minimal loss. And it is cyclic - I now see a pattern.

Keep tracking and keep it up with your calorie intake and you will see changes occur. And try mixing it up! And good job on 45 pounds lost pre-op - that is awesome. I ganed 25 pounds pre-op, so there you go.

Lori H.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views