My first (and last) VSG "binge"

buxom_blossom
on 5/29/11 12:58 pm
VSG on 04/12/11 with
So far I have been doing great with my weight loss, eating and excercising.... I felt AMAZING.  Looked and felt better than I have in years.

At this moment I feel gross, sluggish and like I want to sleep it off..... I just had a mini junk food binge - a 100 cal bag of cheetos and a handful of hershey kisses.  Now that's nothing compared to what I used to pack away in the day but it physically feels just as awful! 

What's really scary is the fact that it happened.  I've been working on my food relationship with a therapist and still have a ways to go. 

I let myself indulge for the first time in a few chips and candy at a party last night .... I think that awoke the sugar monster.  Becasue today for lunch I had 1/2 a small ice cream Blizzard and then after supper I was craving (head hunger) a treat ....

Blah!  While my sleeve definetly helps me control the amount of this stuff I can eat, I need to keep working on seeing food as fuel and just feed myself the good stuff. 

Tomorrow is a new day....

I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

KikiRox85
on 5/29/11 1:05 pm - CA
Good attitude. Tomorrow is a new day.

I get those "head cravings" too. I had binging disorder before VSG and every night I still deal with wanting to eat something bad. lol I have to remind myself that I ate like that for 25 years, 2 months of clean eating and way smaller portions isn't going to change that. Its a struggle, we just need to face it head on and learn from those times.
I haven't binged since before surgery. I'm a little freaked out too. I don't want to push my tummy to far. I guess its the "fear" of opening my staple line that's keeping me from binging.lol

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 1:15 pm
You are right, you woke up the Carb monster and he sucks the health out of you.  Don't beat yourself up, just get decarb your diet.  The next few days are going to be hard, but you have to get through it.  You are wise to be working with a therapist because these issues just get worse in maintenance.  They say the surgery was on our stomachs not our heads, and they are right on.  Good luck.  I think it helps to post about it.  I am pulling for you to make it.  Also, I would recommend that you read many of Brandilynn's post, as they deal beautifully with this very issue and she has some great book recommendations.  I think it would be great to read them now.  Good luck.
redheadtiff
on 5/29/11 1:18 pm - Waxhaw, NC
That's the first step....you're facing the music and read to pick yourself back up. Don't give up on yourself because you had a slip. Tomorrow is a new day. Perhaps try to figure out why you felt you needed to indulge in the chips and candy to begin with. At least you know that if you feel the temptation for just a few of these or those, that it can snowball into something much bigger.
We learn from our "mistakes" and move on with new knowledge.
Keep on forging ahead sleeve sister!

Tiffany
I am a work of art in progress

buxom_blossom
on 5/29/11 1:25 pm
VSG on 04/12/11 with
 Thanks for the encouragement and tips ladied. Tonight I needed a little OH love!

I'm going check out Brandilynn's posts right now.

I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

Jillville
on 5/29/11 2:31 pm - Surrey, Canada
VSG on 04/16/12
I can relate to this post so much...I haven't had my surgery yet, but the psychological issues and habits surrounding food are what I anticipate will be my biggest challenge.  How can I find Brandillynne?  I would like to read her posts/info as well.  I'm newish here and am not so savvy about nagivating the site yet.  Thanks so much!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 2:37 pm
Hi, Here is her profile, http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/blw1313   You can find all of her post through that.  You can also ask her for her book recommendations.  She has this subject covered really well.  I hope this helps.  We are all in this together.  There is strength in numbers.  Good luck and welcome.
Mr Mom
on 5/29/11 2:31 pm
frisco
on 5/29/11 2:33 pm

In the nicest way........

I would be concerned about this......and work on this Ice Cream and Cheetos thing with your therapist.

Your very early out and you have already found out the "Beat the Sleeve Recipe"......

Sorry..... "I'm not the "Awwww.....don't beat yourself up" kinda person......

I'm on your side.....and I want to see you do well...... 

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Mr Mom
on 5/29/11 2:57 pm
Most Active