No Soda????

texaskc
on 6/3/11 9:41 am - KS
OK, I am in pre-op, day 4 of my liquid diet. Tell me again why no diet soda while doing the  pre-op diet?  I mean...it is a liquid..It doesn't have any carbs... Are they just trying to prepare you for no diet soda afterwards? Thanks for the info! Surgery June 21st! YEAH! I am sooooo ready for it to get here! ~kc
HW:282, SW:248, Pounds lost on liquid pre-op (3 weeks): 17 lbs, GW:180

1st month: -14lbs; 2nd month: -10lbs; 3rd month:-4lbs
Jenijeni
on 6/3/11 10:01 am
Yeah, getting you ready for post op... That and getting you off the sodium and caffeine that will make you retain water. It's not so bad. I was a pepsi person. Haven't even tasted a diet pepsi since last November. Keep in mind why you're doing this. You have to trust that your doc knows what's best for you. Follow orders unless the doc or nut changes them! Good luck!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Sandy S.
on 6/3/11 10:01 am
My NUT says it is the carbonation that is a problem, and the caffeine inhibits weight loss.  I am in Preopt too, and giving up my diet coke has been a great sacrifice.  I am enjoying Crystal lite as we speak.  Lemonade is pretty good.

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
infodiva808
on 6/3/11 10:04 am
Yes I think that many have the diet soda habit and they want us to break it now. After being off of it for so long I did have some and besides giving me gas pains, it made me hungry. It's a good habit to break because there really is no nutritional value in it. You will find other no calorie drinks to enjoy. There are tons of herbal teas that are delicious. Just toss a tea bag in your water bottle and go. Add stevia or other no cal sweeteners and you have a drink that won't harm you and actually may do some good. Right after surgery peppermint tea or ginger tea will help with the nausea from the pain meds.

texaskc
on 6/3/11 10:22 am - KS
Thanks for all of the responses. I have been drinking Propel Zero...which is yummie and alot of crystal light as well. I have only had one 12 oz in 4 days...so not too shabby. I will be done with them now. I will do anything I need to do to be successful!!!  Thanks again!
HW:282, SW:248, Pounds lost on liquid pre-op (3 weeks): 17 lbs, GW:180

1st month: -14lbs; 2nd month: -10lbs; 3rd month:-4lbs
MrsHelm1012
on 6/3/11 11:37 am - Washingtonville, PA

When I was doing my pre op if I wanted a soda, I had a Coke Zero. I dont think its that big of a deal to treat yourself every now and then.

doggz109
on 6/3/11 12:11 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
You can't have soda post op so no point in continuing.  Better to wean yourself off it now.
therese50
on 6/3/11 2:15 pm - Lansing, MI
I think giving up Diet Coke was one of the hardest parts of this surgery.  I drank boat loads of it and I hate coffee, so it was my pick me up drink.  I loved that carbonated "hit" at the back of my throat each time I popped open an ice cold can.  I stopped pre-op in order to make it easier post op.  I will say that even though I still miss it, I have found other things to drink, and if you just Google aspartame you will find lots of reason why sodas are really bad for you.  My new drink is Diet Snapple, and I like it almost as much as Diet Coke now, which I never thought I would say.  All the sacrifices are worth it, and you will be amazed at how you can walk away from some of these drinks and foods that seem like "crack" to you.  Good luck!

taracarter42
on 6/3/11 3:02 pm
I recommend a Keurig and tea bags.  You can just plop one in, and you can drink a hot cup within seconds!  This has been my ONLY saving grace and sanity keeper!!!
cabcab
on 6/3/11 3:08 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
All I drink is WATER!! Every once in a while I'll have a regular Vitamin water or orange juice. I despise anything with the least little bit of artificial sweetener taste. The aftertaste stays with me even if I brush my teeth. I loved regular soda and stuff before my surgery and haven't had a coke/pepsi since December 16. YOU'LL LIVE!!! Believe me!! I hope like hell that if I do try it again that it will be VERY painful and that I'll never try it again.
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Most Active