Need to lose weight before surgery consult...HELP!!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/5/11 1:37 am

I am required to lose 5% of my weight before I am even referred to the surgeon.  This is much harder than it sounds, as I am sure you can understand.  I am only consuming 1000 calories and 100 grams or less of carbs, but that's still too much.  Dietician says it should be less than 50grams of carbs...but my tummy isn't small yet and I'm addicted to carbs!!  I am meeting with the nutritionist (who will give the consult for surgery) on the 20th and would like to be down the 14lbs I need to be down by then.  After reading about everyone's 15+ weight loss on the liquid diet I am wondering if that is the road I need to venture down to make this happen.  What did you do to meet the requirements on the fast track to getting surgery??

HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
(deactivated member)
on 6/5/11 1:49 am
You need to get an online food journaling program, there are several I use Fat Secret and start journaling every teaspoon of food you put in your mouth.  The system will keep track of the carbs protein and calories for you so you can see what you are doing daily.  100 grams of carbs is way too much.  The more carbs you eat the more you will crave.  So cutting down carbs will help you not crave them so much.  Also the types of carbs matter.  Cut out all the bread, chips, etc.  I eat no white food.  Bread, pasta, potato, sugar, fat etc.  Its like crack to an addict.  No sodas or caffiene.  Eat protein first then your veggies.  If you want to do the liquid diet then do it but I didin't.  I ate 4 oz protein, 4 oz veggie (no starches) 4 oz fruit  and 4 oz dairy a day.  I divided it up to 1 oz protein and 2 oz fruit at breakfast, a shake made with water at snack, 1 oz of protein with 2 oz veggie at noon, 1 shake made with 2 oz fruit and 4 oz fat free milk at snack then dinner was 2 oz protein, 2 oz veggie.  I also did 70 oz of water daily.
Sometimes I did the afternoon snack as a desert type meal after dinner.  I lost exactly 15 lbs in one month.
It is not easy but if you want it bad enough you can do it.
Kitty1975
on 6/5/11 1:51 am - Canada
I was required to lose 10lbs in six months. I didnt do it. But they gave me one more chance this time lose 20lbs in 2 months, well i managed to lose 24lbs. I followed a two week soup diet then a 1200 cal diet after that. But you have only till the 20th thats not much time. So your best bet would probably be a liquid diet, just make sure you are getting your protein in as that will fill you up quicker than if you dont.

what do you wanna be when you grow up little girl? i wanna be a loser and sit on the bench sir! (45 lbs lost pre op) 300lbs starting weight, currently 141lbs! Lowest has been 135lbs and hoping to get back to that.
rdd9348
on 6/5/11 3:16 am - OR
The liquids are probably your best bet.  I, too, had to lose about 15 pounds pre-surgery.  I managed the first ten "on my own" but stalled after that.  Went to the one week liquid pre-op diet required by my surgeon (two protein shakes & one 350 calorie low carb meal daily - Plus the 64 oz of liquids) and ten more pounds came off in the final week.    Good Luck!
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
pcannedy
on 6/5/11 3:23 am - Sacramento, CA
My pre op diet was mostly spinach salad with grilled chicken, or grilled salmon and lot of veggies and balsomic vinegar dressing.  I would have ww yogurt, 10 bottles of 16 oz water with crystal lite pkgs, one egg and nf cheese for 3 mos before surgery.

Good luck.

cdepietro
on 6/5/11 3:52 am
For a quick loss try Atkins. It will do the job. I do not have my sleev yet but was banded for 8 yrs. The liquid diet is torture before surgery. I have been on Atkins 3 days and down 8 lbs. It is not easy but not that bad...
ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/5/11 4:04 am
Thank you for all of your replies.  I have been tracking my foods on this site.  My weight was dropping and then this morning I'm up!  Grrrrrrrr.....  I don't know why but it is.  So, I'm going to give the carb free a chance for a week.  People think I can be moody normally...wait til they see me without carbs...Monster on the loose...lol
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views