Mexico surgeries for real?

CCinIndiana
on 6/4/11 2:00 pm - IN
Hi,
I am trying to find out information about going to mexico for surgery.  I have seen lots of people write posts about their wonderful experiences, and watched many youtube videos.  Most of the videos look like they were professionally done.  I am fearful that this is all a big scam.  You send your initial depost to an american company.  I am cash paying and can afford the Mexico prices.  But don't want to lose my money or risk my health.  Is there anyone on here that has actually gone and it went well?  Thanks in advance for any help.  Cathi
No More Spanx
on 6/4/11 2:16 pm - Rock Island, IL
Hi CC welcome!  Well, I sure hope it not a scam because I am headed down there from Illinois in 6 days.  I am seeing Dr. Alvarez and his patient coordinator is Susan who is actually based out of California.  I can say he is very real and has just come back from his annual patient reunion which was held in Las Vegas.  I had to put down a deposit and bring the balance in the form of a cashiers check when I get there.  I know that many of his patients post on this site and they can give the specifics of their experiences.  Two other doctors that I researched were Dr. Aceves in Mexicalli and Dr. Joya in Puerto Valllarta that you will see exeriences here from their patients and testimonials on Youtube.  The best of luck on your research, you will get a goldmine of experiences and information here!

Ann
HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

Margo N.
on 6/4/11 2:20 pm
I had a very good experiencd with Dr Aceves - details of my trip to Mexico are on my blog, along with a month by month recounting of my experience since surgery.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

teetee126
on 6/4/11 2:27 pm
Dr.Rod in  jaurez mexico was awesome. 2 mo. later Im 58 lbs lighter n still alive.  inbox me with questions.

ANA B.
on 6/4/11 2:28 pm - ALTOONA, PA
DR. ALVAREZ IS MY LIFE SAVER AND HERO. THEY HOLD YOUR HAND THROUGH THE WHOLE PROCESS. BEST EXPERIENCE EVER. SMALL HOSPITAL IN A GOOD A SAFE PART OF MEXICO, GOOD STAFF AND NO PROBLEM WITH ENGLISH. DO YOUR RESEARCH, THERE ARE A LOT OF US ON OH THAT HAVE GONE TO MEXICO.
  VSG 2/10/11                                             DR. ALVAREZ-MY HERO

jbskaggs
on 6/4/11 3:53 pm - holt, MO
 I went to Tijuana had a wonderful experience- better than many had here in the states.

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/11 4:09 pm
I also went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali and had a great experience. And yes, I was really sleeved--I had the upper GI at 3 mos out up here in the states to prove it! You have to choose your surgeon carefully, just as you would in the US.
quitwhileyouareahead
on 6/4/11 4:09 pm - CA
 Hi there! I just would like to share my experience with you .  Approximately 2 years ago my husband went to mexico for a VGS.....this particular Doctor Hacuz in tijuana was the surgeon... anyway to make a long story short..... this is a clinic... not a hospital...... this is a major , major major surgery done.... in a clinic in a foreign country....with different standards of medicine, treatment etc. then the united states of america has.....   any way......here is the result.......of the procedure...I do not have a husband and I do not have a father for my children.........this is what I can say to anyone who wants to have a major surgery in mexico.........if you really value your life and care about your family....it is a suicide going to mexico.............don't do it.....no matter how cheap it is.   
Do not do it in mexico..... PLEASE do not go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think they should not even advertise to americans citizens.... it is a scam!!!!! They don't ca re about the patients.  They don't even know what the heck they are doing there.......

Heidi V.
on 6/4/11 9:10 pm - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear of your terrible ordeal. I looked up the surgeon you used on OH and didn't find him/her. You should add him to the list and write a review so others don't go to him. These surgeries should be done in a hospital and not a clinic. If the research is not carefully done, the results could be disasterous. The private medical system in Mexico is generally very good, but care must be taken regarding any surgeon, even in the US or Canada.

Again, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

With lots of love,

Heidi
xx

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

tee4change
on 6/4/11 10:35 pm - NY
Sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting. I agree how serious this is especially in a foriegn country. Reguards to you and your children.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views