COTTAGE CHEESE - YUCK!

tmctnrice
on 6/10/11 10:11 am - Newport News, VA

Hi everyone, I am looking for some suggestions. I had VSG on 6/02 and am having a hard time getting in all of my protein.  I DO NOT like the taste of cottege cheese on its own , but if I could get some ideas on how to make it better I will try it.  So in short I would like any recipes or suggestions on how to dress up cottage cheese, so it will taste better to me. Thank You!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/10/11 10:13 am
I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm pushing the protein.  I have been drinking at least 2 protein drinks a day.  I add frozen fruit and/or sugar free fat free jello pudding to the mix along with soy milk and I have a drink with about 30g of protein. 
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
KathyA999
on 6/10/11 10:19 am
I add SF hazelnut syrup to mine (I love anything hazelnut!), and a half-cup of blueberries.  It's what I have for breakfast just about every day.  Right now, you could just do the syrup in whatever flavor you like.  Cottage cheese is pretty bland and will take up the flavor of anything you add to it.

Other people add SF jello powder, SF pudding powder, crystal lite powder, etc etc.  (Go easy on the powders because they're concentrated.)  You could even try SF maple syrup.  Lots of ways to flavor it - good luck sweetie, and congrats on your surgery!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

lucy2e
on 6/10/11 10:19 am - Laurel, MD
I'm not a cottage cheese fan either!  You can add salsa to it, or fruit (pinaple, apple sauce, etc). 

Another idea is do part skim ricotta cheese instead!  You can dress that up the same way - even do spaghetti sauce  -  tastes like lasagna!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

redsnapper1975
on 6/10/11 10:29 am
Warm it up with some marinara (low sugar if you're RNY) or taco sauce/salsa.  Or, add some powdered ranch dip mix or any other sauce mix powder you like (lots of asian flavors I like to sprinkle onto things.)  Can be high in salt though so go lightly.  Makes a good lunch or dinner.
~ Kim

Foxbins
on 6/10/11 12:11 pm
I don't like sweet cottage cheese, so I put tomato sauce on it and heat it up, or stir a teaspoon or so of freeze-dried chives in it.  Let the chives sit for a minute to plump up and it's not too bad.
BriarRose
on 6/10/11 12:39 pm
Try ricotta cheese it's smoother, and I like the taste more. I will add a bit of jelly or jam to it, for a sweet treat; or you can add marinara sauce in layers and top with parm cheese and bake in small cups for individual "lasagna" cups.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
IrishColleen
on 6/10/11 3:25 pm - Owosso, MI
 I second the jam or jelly.  I have eaten cottage cheese this way since I was a kid.  It's like someone said earlier, cottage cheese is fairly flavorless and takes on the flavor of the additive.  Peanut butter? Hmm never thought about it but peanut butter goes with everything and anything if you ask me.

I also like savory so I've tried spices; pepper, thyme, Italian seasoning, or paprika.  

I also read honey here recently and though I haven't tried it, it sounds good.

Good luck.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
stephany48463
on 6/10/11 11:11 pm
yuck! skip it and find a good yogurt instead I dont like the texture of cottage cheese so there is no dressing it up for me. The only thing I used it in was a noodleless lasagna bake and I still use mostly ricotta.
45 lbs lost pre op
first goal 199 reached 2-3-11
second goal 175 reached 6-1-11              
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 76 views