Gallbladder or No Gallbladder??

jennyfur76
on 6/14/11 9:20 am - OH
VSG on 06/21/11 with
So...when I originally talked w/my Doc several months ago, he was planning on removing my gall-bladder during my VSG surgery. I had an ultrasound that confirmed my GB is full of stones (as I already knew, and have had had for several years).

However, at my preop appt 2 wks ago, the Doc says now that he does not want to remove it. He says he just wants "one less possibility for complication" and that he will just give me a script for meds that dissolve gb stones.

I really want the damn thing out! Granted, I have not yet had any problems with it, but I am the only member of my whole family who still has it! I would rather not have extra meds or possibility of another future surgery! 

I sent an email to the Doc's nurse, to see if she can say something to him, to see if I can "request" it be taken out along with my WLS.

Any thoughts? Has anyone had their GB taken out along with VSG? Has anyone still had it after VSG then had it removed later?

Any advise would be appreciated...only 6 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 10 seconds to go!!!

MyOwnSunshine
on 6/14/11 9:32 am, edited 6/14/11 9:35 am
I'm praying that my gallbladder is thickened or full of stones or sludge when I have my pre-op abdominal ultrasound so that my surgeon will take my gallbladder out during surgery.  I have had gallbladder flares in the past that are no fun and I would rather not have another (potential) surgery down the road.

I'm also looking forward to having my hiatal hernia fixed as well.

I think you should have a conversation with your doc about what potential complications he is trying to avoid, and any potential risks and benefits of leaving it in vs taking it out.  If you understand his rationale and he understands your motivation, you may be able to come to a better decision together. 

Surgeons may be somewhat inaccessible, but you deserve to have a conversation with him, not his office staff.  Part of the money that you and your insurance company are paying him is for pre- and post-op care, and patients deserve to have their questions answered by the doc.  Don't sign your consent until every single one of your questions have been answered.

Jami RN
lucy2e
on 6/14/11 9:39 am - Laurel, MD
Hi - I had both GB and VSG at the same time.  No problems - easy recovery. Not sure what the issue would be - but that being said, I would want to do what the surgeon was comfortable with.  (But I would want more answers - what increase complications...

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Crabadams72
on 6/14/11 10:01 am - Silver Spring, MD
I also had both removed at the same time. I can't afford to take more sick leave so I needed to get it out along with the VSG. I also did not want the risks of having a gb attack.

VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

cabcab
on 6/14/11 10:11 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I would get it out at the same time if you can. A lot of pre-WLS patients have an ultrasound to see if they have gallstones or gallbladder disease for the very purpose of taking it out at the time of surgery if it is diseased.

From personal experience, gallstones are the worst pain I've ever had in my life. I mean ,it's BAD! If I could have avoided that pain I would have. Recovering from my GB surgery was very easy.
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

lrwright09
on 6/14/11 10:14 am - MI
I would try to get it out as well if you can.  From my understanding, a couple of my friends with their GB still in after surgery ended up having to get it out soon after WLS. 

Pre-surgery weight:  285
After pre-surgery diet:  271   
Chimere
on 6/14/11 11:43 am
Ok honey first off he works for YOU.  Secound off, what kinda nut is he? I would plain out ask him, why would you risk me coming back on the table again to have it removed, knowing how serious the anathesia is? More people die from that than any thing else yet you want to risk my life again with another surgery down the road? What happened ?  you get a divorce and have to pay big time allomony and child support or you buy a new condo in miami or a lambergini? Serious hon Id put my foot down and tell him he is not goin to risk your life on the table again for another surgery that can damn well be avoided ohhhh he makes my blood boil.

of course you might want to broach it a lil calmer than that :) but I would tell him you want them both out at the same time no ifs ands or buts. 

God thats just lame.

Did he mention he was concerned about keeping you on the table longer then he absolutely has to becasue of your weight? If thats not the reason then he just needs to get it out :) You said he just wanted one less complication.  So I guess he didnt.

Maybe hes booked to close with another surgery and he doesnt want to take the time.  Just sounds odd to me but Im no surgeon.

I know this is a bit strong but seriously Id ask him for another consult prior to your surgery and bring up what I said about the dangers of surgery in and of its self and how much better you would feel haveing it out now.  Id research this medicine too what if it doesent work for you? Another surgery, Id seriously talk to him not his staff :)

Hugs hon and good luck let us know what happens

MediumSoon
on 6/14/11 12:21 pm - TX
I had my VSG 10/25/10. Perfectly healthy gallbladder - which was removed with at least 14 stones June 7th. I would SURELY think it would be better to do it in one surgery but that's just me. I would definitely have the conversation again. Obviously, the meds are no guarantee or there would be no gallbladder removal surgery. Mine told me we COULD treat with meds, but it was 6-12 months and it might or might not work. No, thank you - take that sucker out!

janeld
on 6/14/11 2:13 pm
I would have it out if you can.
I had my VSG on 11/9/10. Just today my PCP is sending me to a surgeon to consult about having my gallbladder taken out. I was able to get in tomorrow morning very early (we are going on vacation so I wanted to get in fast for the consult..plus other issues). Anyway, now I have been diagnosed with CRPS and ANY invasive medical procedure can make it spread...NOT fun. (it is a nerve syndrome that is VERY painful/burning, etc. NO cure. Right now it is in my feet and left leg. Last thing I need is it to be in my torso also!) Anyway, to try and keep the CRPS at bay, we would need my pain management dr. to do a sympathetic block, etc. So...not a simple in and out thing. I am going to look into the medication to disolve the stones. =)

Hope it all works for you!
Ashley S.
on 6/14/11 2:21 pm
VSG on 05/04/10 with
I had my gallbladder removed along with my VSG.  No complications and a quick recovery.  I really didn't think he'd want to remove it because I had only one stone, but apparently it was a pretty good size stone.  So glad it's gone and out of the way.
-Ash

Heaviest Weight: 365, Surgery Weight: 327, Current Weight:  146.9
Twitter:   http://twitter.com/#!/AshLYMMJ

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 86 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views