Good thing happening but causing fear

suthernqueen
on 6/16/11 11:09 am

Before VSG I was taking verapamil and micardis/hctz for bp control.

Well PCP told me to stop taking verapamil and keep check to see how bp did. Things went well. So off that completely.

Well I have been walking more and checked my bp this past Monday and it was 99/63. So I didn't take the micardis/hctz the next day and seems to be doing fine without it.

Now for scary part. I am sure this will cause water weight gains (med included water pill) and not sure how to stop that from happening!!!

Any suggestions or tricks that can be passed along I would grealty appreciate.

If my bp continues to do well I can truly say I am only taking multivitamins, vitamin d, calcuim and b12. 1st time in over 20 years that I will not be on prescription meds.

So very happy about that and keeping more money in my pocket

MediumSoon
on 6/16/11 11:18 am - TX
That did happen to me (very slightly) when I stopped BP meds. But don't worry - it's not long-term. Try to limit sodium and drink more water. Other than that, wait it out. It will pass but it could take a couple of weeks. Nothing to fret.

Smardeepants
on 6/16/11 11:44 am
Yup, I agree... just wait it out. I had some rebound edema (my swelling was worse once I stopped the meds) but I waited it out, drank lots of water, watched my sodium, and it was gone in a couple of weeks.

Crunchy As Can Be
on 6/16/11 11:45 am - NY
Adding things like lemon wedges to your water may help as it's a gentle diuretic. And I'm not sure where you are with food, but asparagus is also a gentle diuretic.

I agree with Medium, too-- watch your sodium!
 ~~Emily~~

Lisa D.
on 6/16/11 11:48 am - New Orleans, LA
I am off bp med, too!  What a great result of sleeving.  My pressure today was 103/65.  I'll take that any day!  Any water weight gain should be temporary because you have fixed the problem that caused water retention.   
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

Krazydoglady
on 6/16/11 12:47 pm - FL
Per my PCP, the  diuretic effects of HCTZ (the water pill part of your BP meds) reduces significantly over time.  If you've been on it for a while, it's likely you won't gain much water back.  First couple of days off it, I would do a long, slow workout at the low end of your fatburning range  -- 65% or target heart rate.  Between sweating and metabolizing fat, your body will deal quickly with excess water.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

heathermc44
on 6/16/11 1:11 pm - Bremerton, WA
I noticed a big fluctuation when I went off the HCTZ, in fact it was a 4-5 pound weight gain.  I know it was all water but I just could not get rid of it.  I had to go back on it and now I'm back down to what I was.  People kept telling me my weight would even out but it never did. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views