Supplements post VSG

buxom_blossom
on 6/21/11 11:02 pm
VSG on 04/12/11 with
 I was wondering if anyone has taken vitamin/herbal weight loss support supplements after their VSG surgery.  I have some CLA, Lean+ and Shape+ left over and am not sure if I can take them or if they need to be trashed.  I'm going to ask my surgeon as well but was wondering if anyone had any expereince to share. 

Here's what's in them: 
Hydroxycitric acid (HCA) from Garcinia cambogia
curbs the appetite, inhibits the conversion of carbohydrates (sugars) into fat, reduces fat production and storage, and improves the rate of fat burning in cells by inhibiting an enzyme that blocks fat from being burnt (malonyl CoA).
500mg
Green tea (50% polyphenols) (provided by 3.5mg of a 100:1 extract)
regulates the appetite and stimulates BAT cells, increasing thermogenesis and burning excess fat and calories. Green tea may also lower fat absorption by the intestines, and inhibit excess carbohydrates from being absorbed.
350mg
Citrus aurantium (Bitter orange) (6% synephrine)
increases the breakdown of stored fat (lipolysis) by increasing the activity of the BAT cells and thus thermogenesis and the metabolic rate. Unlike Ephedra (Ma Huang), Caffeine or Guarana, Citrus aurantium works without stimulating the central nervous system and thus has none of the associated side effects or health risks.
325mg
Grapefruit juice powder
for those *****member the popular grapefruit diet of the '70s, here is the reason it worked. Grapefruit contains pectin, which helps to lower fat absorption and suppress the appetite. In lean+, the Grapefruit juice powder complements the Citrus aurantium for increased efficacy.
200mg
Coleus forskohlii (Forslean®) (10% forskohlin)
increases the breakdown of stored fat (lipolysis) through the increase of the cellular messenger cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate) in cells.
100mg
Cayenne
stimulates the production of ATP (fuel) thus increasing thermogenesis and stimulating the BAT cells so more calories are burned. Cayenne also improves the absorption of the other ingredients.

EGCG

Green tea standardized to EGCG is included in shape+ to enhance lipolysis (fat breakdown). Research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the International Journal of Obesity shows that the EGCG can increase fat breakdown and support weight loss in humans. Results of a recent study in the Journal Clinical Cancer Research (2003) indicate that high doses of EGCG (800mg daily) can be safely consumed. This means that shape+abs+ and lean+ can all be taken together for the quickest and most effective results.

HCA

HCA adds to the effectiveness of shape+ by its research-proven ability to safely decrease caloric intake (by about 15-30% over placebo without altering appetite) and suppress lipogenesis (fat production). As with calcium and EGCG from green tea, HCA has also been shown in human studies to increase fat breakdown (lipolysis). HCA has been specifically shown to increase lipolysis during exercise in controlled studies involving both trained athletes and untrained adults, makingshape+ an excellent way to boost the results of your work-out.

The science-based formulation of shape+ can be summed up in one word – synergy. The combination of the simple, yet effective ingredients work together to prevent the manufacture and unnecessary storage of fat and to help breakdown pre-existing excess fat. Get the leanest shape, get shape+.

I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

acbbrown
on 6/21/11 11:55 pm - Granada Hills, CA
What are you hoping to accomplish by taking them? I've never taken them so I can't really offer any advice, but I'll be curious to see what your surgeon says.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 2:33 am
Def ask your Dr, but I doubt it'd be off limits.. however, anything with bitter orange just jazzed me up way too much and made me jittery and icky feeling.. I've taken this stuff over the years. Post op you may find you are much more sensitive to it. Heck, the first time I had caffeine post op I thought my heart was going to explode and I was going to crawl out of my skin.. I'm now ok with it, just one. But still, that was not fun. If you do get the ok, I'd start with 1/2 just to be on the safe side.
Most Active