I took a couple of ibuprofen for the 1st time since surgery!

farewell2fat
on 6/29/11 6:20 am - Apopka, FL
I had a BEAST of a headache & no Tylenol in sight, so I broke down & took ibuprofen. I know it's a no no, but isn't this rule really geared towards people who would use ibuprofen regularly & not just on an occasional basis??

acbbrown
on 6/29/11 6:26 am - Granada Hills, CA
Why is it a no-no? I was told I'd be able to take NSAIDs with the sleeve...I hope i can take them eventually :-/

It's probably better for your stomach to limit the amount you take, but I didnt think it's forbidden with the VSG. ( i could always be wrong since I'm still new at this...)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

fatmoose
on 6/29/11 6:37 am - FL
 My surgeon told me that even with the sleeve nsaids were out forever with the exception of the liquid filled gel-caps.  He said the reason is that with so much less stomach acid nsaids tend to stick to the stomach lining and can quickly result in an ulcer.  I keep some of the gel-caps around as I do not like Tylenol.  Luckily I haven't needed either so far.
Hope this helps.
Birdie55
on 6/29/11 6:38 am
It isn't a no no to take Ibuprofen. My surgeon cleared me to take 2 - twice a day about a month post-op. I take them for an old neck injury and picked VSG surgery because I would still eb able to take them post-op.

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

mythreechildren2001
on 6/29/11 6:41 am
My surgery is in less than 2 weeks.  I haven't been told that I can't take ibuprofin post surgery.
pommom3
on 6/29/11 6:42 am - MI
 I was told by my surgeon that its a no no forever!!  Because of ulcers we will never be able to take nsaids.

angieb77
on 6/29/11 6:43 am - Blaine, MN
I was told it was a no-no.  I can only take tylenol.

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

emelar
on 6/29/11 7:10 am - TX
You can take ibuprofen.  One of the advantages the sleeve has over RNY is that you have no limitations on what kind of meds you can take.

BUT, all NSAIDs are hard on the stomach and everyone should avoid taking them on a regular basis unless necessary.  One time or occasional use isn't going to hurt anything.
Silverspoke
on 6/29/11 8:35 am - southaven, MS
 I take ibuprofen almost daily for artritris.
Everything I read before surgery said that NSAIDS are ok witha  sleeve.
NanaDebby65
on 6/29/11 11:17 am - North Richland Hills, TX
You should be fine especially with occasional use. Some surgeons say ok, some are adamantly no. My surgeon actually recommended the sleeve so I can take nsaids long term if needed. I have Rhuematoid Arthritis and most times Tylenol just doesnt cut the pain. I also take steroids long term as well. Dr Kim said the sleeve was the best choice for the long term nsaid/steroid use.

Debby
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views