Weight loss during the first month after WLS

Need4Change
on 7/7/11 12:11 am - NJ
Hi everyone,

I had my surgery June 21st and have lost 16 lbs... I am very grateful for that loss, but now, as Im onto starting my 3rd week, I noticed that I havent lost anything more since last week (week 2).

I'm taking my vitamins, getting my protein in, and trying to get my water in (thats been tough)... BMs are normal... not sure if this is normal/expected or what?

I did expect the weight loss to slow down some, but not stop. 
Any thoughts or am I panicking for no reason? 

Thanks!
lindym
on 7/7/11 12:18 am - Canada
VSG on 04/12/11 with
No need to panic, you've got what the OH family refers to as the dreaded 3 week stall!! It happens to alot of people at around 3 weeks post surgery. As you will see on this forum there is a great percentage of people who go through this and the duration of everyones stalls will vary, some say it's just your bodys way of readjusting to what has happended to it. Just keep on doing what your doing, water, protein and low carbs and the weight will start to fall off again.

lucy2e
on 7/7/11 12:19 am - Laurel, MD
Just the dreaded 3 week stall.  Happens to most people.  It's your body taking a moment to adjust.  You'll start up again!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

cattywompos
on 7/7/11 12:20 am
You have more than likely hit the dreaded 3 week stall.  99.9% of us seem to hit a stall somewhere around 3 weeks post op. Some later, some earlier.  Your body is taking this time to rebuild its reserves (to put it simply).  Take some measurements and look for NSVs during this time and keep off the scale.  Length of the 3 week stall varies from person to person. Mine lasted nearly 3 weeks.  A recent poster said hers lasted 23 days.  Just keep sticking to your plan and before you know it the scale will move again.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

Could_It_Be
on 7/7/11 12:30 am
Is it no coincidence that the "3 week stall" kicks back in when we start on pureed foods? Seems logical to me that your body just needs to reset, no?
Need4Change
on 7/7/11 12:56 am - NJ
Pheweeewww!  What  a relief!  I knew some people stalled months later, but I didnt know about this!  It makes perfect sense, thanks so much for all your replies and feedback - its much appreciated!

I'm on purred foods already - was told I could start day 8 post-op...  My mom says she thinks ive lost more weight, but obv the scale isnt moving so maybe I'm losing inches.  I will definitely take measurements now!

:-)

Thanks and best wishes to you all!
Hollyhock
on 7/7/11 12:59 am - VA
I hear you. I am in a semi-stall, where the weight is coming off a lot more slowly than the first three weeks. At least it's not going in the other direction!

Although worrisome, I figure it's GOT to be temporary. I'm eating such a small fraction of what I used to that it'd violate the laws of physics for me to not eventually lose more weight.
5'7"  VSG on 6/6/2011  HW 224, SW 214, CW 144  
onmywaytoskinny
on 7/7/11 1:00 am - Texas, TX
Thanks for this! I was wondering the same thing. Now I know what's going on with me! I was getting scared that I was doing something wrong at first. This is good to know!

roundater
on 7/7/11 1:27 am - Lincoln, NE
Like the other posters said, it often stalls at 3 weeks. I am in that too. We will both hang in there and keep losing together.
Rich Sonderegger

Joel F.
on 7/7/11 1:44 am - Concord, CA
I'm one-week post-op and this is the first I've heard of the 3 week stall.  Glad to know!!!

I learn something everytime I come here.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 279 views