Want to know my Secret

MikeyMike
on 7/10/11 10:36 am, edited 7/10/11 10:38 am - New York, NY

This is a repost from a couple of months ago...thought I would re post for some of the new people:

First and foremost Support is the key to my success. I don’t think anyone can do this on their own.  Whether you have a significant other, friends, family or a support group we all need support especially when we are down.

In addition to OH I belong to two support groups. The dynamics of each group is different and I get different things from them. The key is to take the good but leave the bad. For example from your friends, family and co-workers take the good comments and NSV’s as that will help motivate you. But leave the negative comments and haters alone.  If you’re really good…spin those negatives around and let that motivate you to prove them wrong.

One of the mantras…one of the support groups has is the three "P" rules to weight loss...Patience, Persistence and Perseverance. If you follow the three "P" rules you'll do great. I find the three “P" rule especially helpful during stalls. As I have experienced several stalls throughout my journey. Some stalls have lasted a week some have lasted over a month. I found that the three “P" rule along with taking my measurements helped me “Stay the Course". Measurements are extremely important. Many times when you go through a stall you may stop seeing the weight on the scale drop, yet the inches throughout your body changes. I consistently measure my: Neck, Chest, Forearm, BiCeps, Waist, Thigh and Calf. Seeing those inches drop helped motivated me throughout various stages of my journey when I experienced stalls.

Another tip that I learned from one of the support groups I attend (and this was very recent). Always start off your day with protein (within the first ½ hour of waking up). This was something that I never did before. I would normally wake up get dressed commute to work and when I arrived in the office three hours later would then have breakfast at my desk. I started drinking a protein shake as soon as I wake up. What a difference this simple change made. Not only do I feel more energy, I feel alert during the whole day. This also helps me make my protein daily goal.

I’m one of the lucky ones that haven’t experienced physical hunger since surgery. Yet I experience head hunger. Cravings are a ***** and they are very difficult to deal with. I crave carbs (especially sweets, bread, and salt) once I start the carbs it’s like a snowball rolling down a hill. Granted I can’t indulge like I used to, but it’s enough to have a negative impact on the scale if I’m not careful (grazing).

I find that if I’m consistent throughout the day with a meal and drink plan. I have no time to crave carbs or graze. When I do crave, drinking some crystal light helps.

I eat on a schedule to make sure I get my Protein and water in. Here's what a typical day looks like for me:

5:30 am – Protein shake

6:00 am - Drink 16oz of Water take my Multi vitamins and meds.
8:00 am - Breakfast
9:00 am - Drink 16 0z of Water
10:00 am - Snack
12:00 pm - Lunch
1:00 pm - Drink 16 oz of Water
2:00 pm Snack
3:00 pm - Drink 16 oz of Water
7:00 pm - Dinner
9:00 pm - Snack
10:00pm - Drink 8 oz of Water - Vitamin C and Iron Supplement

The fastest I can drink 16 oz of water is about 3 mins but I usually do it in 5 as not to rush myself. If I drink too fast I can get sick (but that hasn't happened in a long time). Sometimes I drink Diet Snapple in place of water (don't tell my nut...her opinion is there is no substitute for water).

As you can see I eat throughout the day. I found it helps with my head hunger as I'm almost always either eating or drinking something. I try to make my snacks high protein ie Greek Yogurt. Sometimes (very rare) I'll eat these little pretzel nuggets (peanut butter filled) from CVS. It gives me the crunch as well as the salt that I crave.

Here’s my sample meal plan (remember I’m in maintenance). I'm not that imaginative several things repeat....Here's what I did last week.

Breakfast: Fiber One Cereal, egg/sausage cheese on English muffin (one slice), Smoothie King Protein shake (I make from powder w/ skim milk strawberry and bananas).

Lunch: Wendy's Chili, Gyro Salad, Chicken Salad

Dinner: Salmon, Chicken, (with various sides such as: Macaroni and cheese, spinach, String Beans), Smoothie King Protein shake 

Snacks: Sugar Fee Jello pudding, Greek Yogurt (love Chobani with Fruit), Power Crunch Protein bars, CVS Pretzel Nuggets, Sugar Free Ice Pops, Beef Jerky.

Lastly I would say. I stuck to my Doctors plan. It’s important to “Stay the Course". I fully believe The support mechanism is the key to success.

Hope this helps….

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

Could_It_Be
on 7/10/11 10:39 am
Michael, thanks so much for sharing

VSG on 6/22/11
Lynn5707
on 7/10/11 10:41 am - IN
Thanks for posting. I'm newly sleeved and it is great to see how it will be in maintenance phase.

Congrats on your success,

Lynn
theshrinkingmimi
on 7/10/11 10:45 am
Thanks.  I nearly fainted when you said that you can drink 16 oz in 3-5 minutes. When I am able to drink like that again...OH HAPPY DAY! 
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
MyOwnSunshine
on 7/10/11 11:27 am
Thank you!  It's always great to hear from a successful veteran.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Msbfree
on 7/10/11 11:29 am - Red Oak, TX
Hello,

This is really great and very helpfull,, I plan to have my VSG in 08/2011 or 09/2011, and from the post I can tell protein is very important....

But I guess these support groups are something I need to start investigating,, I am not really a sharer so thats the reason they sound "like work" too me.. But I was going to do this whole process secretly but decided that my spouse deserved more than that, So he and I are the only ones that know that I plan to make this leap,, but now I think a support group may provide me with some direction.... are they online,, or do you meet somewhere,,, how do they work,,, I am self pay so I havent had a nut to guide me...
MikeyMike
on 7/10/11 11:39 am, edited 7/10/11 11:40 am - New York, NY
Obesityhelp.com is a support group. So you are already participating in one.

It's nice to have someone to talk to. Especially someone who has already gone down this path and can advise you. As I said you have to take the good and leave the bad.

In person groups are good as well. You can try looking at your local forum and  post and inquire about local groups in your area. I found one of them through my doctors office. It's run by his PA. That group is Pre and Post op. My Dr. requires one visit pre and post op to his group as part of the Weight Loss program.

The other group is a post op only run by patients. It's a completely different perspective as it's not bound by the hospital or Doctors rules. Nothing is taboo. Made some good friends out of the groups.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

roundater
on 7/10/11 11:58 am - Lincoln, NE
Thanks Mikey for sharing from the veteran's board. Hope to be joining you soon.
Rich Sonderegger

New_me2011
on 7/10/11 12:30 pm - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
 Hi,
I am a fellow New Yorker, pre-op, and thank you so much for sharing. Of course we are concerned with the surgery and immediately afterwards, so we seldom get the perspective of what maintenance is like. I know that men tend to lose weight faster than women, but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, regardless of sex, makes the entire journey and a successful outcome, seem real and possible. Thanks for taking the time to share, encourage, educate, support and inspire-thanks for "paying it forward".
frisco
on 7/10/11 2:55 pm

Mikey Rules !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views