One month post op - update

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/22/11 11:30 am
 Today makes one month post op for me.  It's been a roller coaster of a month.  I lost 10 pounds on my preop diet.  Since surgery, I have lost another 20 pounds, so 30 total!  That is amazing!  I could never have done that before surgery.

I am now on soft foods, yeah!  I can eat anything that can be mashed with a fork.  I am mostly eating hard boiled eggs, plain greek yogurt (I add spices like splenda and cinnamon), chicken, fish, lunch meat, cheese, well cooked non-starchy veggies and other things like that.  Nothing has disagreed with me, but ground beef/turkey and scrambled eggs felt heavy in my tummy.  I will try them again in a few weeks.

The first few weeks after surgery were hell.  I was tired, weak, anxious, frustrated about not being able to eat, had trouble getting in fluids, and was moody.  Day 3 was the worst day for me; at day 5 I turned a corner and felt better.  By 2 weeks, I started to feel slightly more human when I started pureed foods.  Now at one month, I feel pretty much normal.  I'm back to work, drinking fine (but can't gulp or take too many sips really close together) and eating fine (very small amounts, typically less than 2 oz at a time).

I also have an infection that caused massive diarrhea.  I'm being treated for it, so my symptoms are much more controlled, but that made the first few weeks hell, too.  I learned quickly to Never Trust A Fart!

I still get a little down about not being able to eat much.  I am a foodie and love to cook.  It's a total mindf**k to cook a great meal and only be able to eat 2 oz or less.  BUT, it's working for weight loss and that was the POINT of surgery in the first place.  So it's mostly mental and I'm working on that.

At 6 weeks, I'll get to transition to regular foods.  I'm excited about that!  Yahoo!  I don't know if I can say I LOVE MY SLEEVE just yet, but I'm getting closer!  My hubby is about 25 pounds overweight.  Not much, but he's seeing the changes in me and has made changes of his own!  He's starting to eat like me and is my biggest supporter (from day 1 he was!).  We both use myfitnesspal.com to track our food.  I'm hooked on it!  

Any questions... ask away!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

slimmingsammy
on 7/22/11 12:10 pm
You seem to be doing quite well.  Like you, I love to cook and I love food.  I even have to stop myself from watching food network.  I had my surgery on July 5th and have had no problems incorporating foods.  I started adding soft meats kinda soon because all of the protein drinks I used prior to surgery has been giving me diarrhea.  I haven't gone to see my surgeon yet (appt is sched for 7/29) and I am quite anxious to see what he will have to say about my progress.  So far, I've only lost 21 pounds but I'm thankful because I know I wouldn't have been able to do it without my sleeve.  I'm not at the point of loving it but I must say I'm getting closer.

Good luck on your journey!!!

HW: 396 VSG: 7/5/11: 388 lbs.
acbbrown
on 7/22/11 2:47 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I'm supposed to start regular food tomorrow, and I have no idea what to eat now! I think it's going to just be much of the same!

I hope your infection gets cleared up soon!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

EmpoweringMe331
on 7/22/11 8:24 pm - MD
Congratulations on your success so far! You are doing awesome!

Most Active