Starting to get nervous, guidance from the vets please?

wildfan
on 8/4/11 9:23 pm
 so I had VSG on April12.  Started the new year at 425.  Lost 41 pounds on the three week pre-op liquid diet.  Surgery weight 384.  Since then I have lost weight every week except for three.  About 5 weeks out from surgery I had two straight weeks with no loss.  Other than those two weeks, up until last week I had lost every week, at least two pounds, some weeks up to 6.  In fact for a while I was doing the yo-yo, and lost (in order) 6, 2, 6, 2, 5, 2, 3.  Now the last two weeks I have GAINED!!! WTF?  Last week I gained 3 pounds.  So far this week since Monday I have gained another 1 pound.  I don't get it.  I have not changed a thing I am eating, still getting in all my water, all my protein.  The ONLY thing that has changed is that I have been exercising a little less because I don't have a gym membership (yet), and its been too hot and muggy to go walking.  Meals are breakfast usually either two scrambled eggs with a little shredded cheese, or sometimes a couple pieces of beef jerky.  Mid morning I'll either have a glass of milk, or a couple strawberries or grapes.  Lunch is something small and high in protein, like a turkey and cheese sandwich on half a whole grain flatbread, or a 1/4 pound turkey burger (no bun, just the meat), or some leftover buffalo burger.  Afternoon snack is usually more grapes or strawberries, or occasionally a couple tablespoons of cashews, or another milk.  Dinner is a wide variety, but always protein first, and sometimes protein only.  Depends on the density of the protein.  But I am eating the same as always, just stopped losing weight the last two weeks.  I know, I know..."stop snacking".  But according to my NUT, since I am still only able to eat about 1/2 cup at meal time, she said its fine to snack between meals as long as they are small, healthy snacks.  I told her what mine are and she said that is perfect.  Daily intake is between 800 and 1,200 calories, low fat, 70-85 g protein, and 80-120 oz of water.  WHY DID I START GAINING???  I have read about "correction" periods on here, and hope its just something like that.  But still VERY frustrated right now.  If I was eating like **** snacking on garbage, couch-bound 24/7, etc, I would understand gains.  But when I am following the program to the letter, and GAINING, I am getting very irritated.

ravenssummer
on 8/4/11 9:52 pm - West Warwick, RI
I'm in the same situation last week I gained 5lbs lost it and have been bouncing back and forth for this week 265, 264, 263, 264. I don't think it's anything were doing I think its just a correction period. Oh, and my surgery week was before yours.
HW 348 SW 329 CW 196  

frisco
on 8/4/11 10:08 pm

So..... first off.... understand that I'm only trying to help you the only way I know how.... and that is the program that I did from a very successful program and probably the most common VSG eating plan.

A few things I noticed about what your eating.

- Beef Jerky and Peanut Butter were weight loss stoppers for me. (I know you didn't mention Peanut Butter....just tellin you my experience)

- I didn't really eat fruit till maintenance....wait...I don't really eat fruit in maitanance....a few times a week I put 4-5 frozen strawberries in a protein shake....sometimes blueberries.

- I had better weight loss with chicken, turkey or fish vs. beef or pork.

- 600-800 calories a day.

- less than 40 grams carbs a day

It really sounds like you are pretty good......sounds like the exercise that slowed down messed up your balance point. So your rule might be 600-800 cals a day without exercise and 800-1000 with exercise???

Again.... those would be stuff you may want to try. You very well may be in a period of adjustment....it happens.

I really do think you have a handle on it.....just be willing to change it up towards the "strict" side than the "liberal" side when you come up to these situations.... I'm finding this whole thing is a kinda moving target.
You will find as you add foods....things can change...

Hope this helps.... your gonna be fine... I can tell !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

frisco
on 8/4/11 10:27 pm

Just to add to that.....I'm still only at 2-3oz of dense proteins 21 months out.........

Also I'm not one of those that say I can eat 8oz of this and 6 oz of that and 3oz. of that. All my meals are around 3-4oz. In maintenance a typical meal is 2oz of protein and an ounce or 2 of veggie. Try never to eat till full...happens sometimes by accident...mostly at restaurants.

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

cattywompos
on 8/4/11 10:22 pm
I never count the ups only the downs.  My body can gain a couple pounds of water at any given moment.  Stalls are common and can happen at any point. Like Frisco said, your body maybe readjusting to the less exercise, try upping the exercise or cutting the cals a bit.  Even if you cut out just the fruit that may help.  Sounds like you are doing everything right to me, keep at it and the weight will come off again in no time.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 8/4/11 10:26 pm - New Orleans
I will echo much of what Frisco said.  I keep my calories to 600-700/day.  I don't count fat.  I keep up with protein, carbs(under 20 grams) & water(over 80 ozs).  I don't "track" what I eat, per se, but if it's not protein or fat... I don't eat it.  Absolutely no fruit or milk.  Beef jerky does not slow me down and I don't really worry too much about sodium, because I drink so much water.

I remember my doctor emphasizing the importance of sticking to three meals per day.  Of course you can't eat much... that's the whole idea here.  Snacking lessens the effectiveness of your sleeve, IMO.  But I'm not perfect... sometimes I'll have a bite of cheese or bacon as a snack if I'm feeling hungry.

The main thing is to not freak out.  You're still a young sleever.  Tweak a few things and see what your results are.  Our bodies all behave very differently... what works for one does not work for all.

Big guys like us have to be pretty strict about things.  We have a lot to lose, so sticking to the rules is pretty important.  I'd listen less to your NUT and more to those who have successfully lost 150... 200... 300 lbs.

Keep us updated.  Best of luck! 

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

frisco
on 8/4/11 10:30 pm

Dude.... you blew past me !!!

Way to go..... I knew you had it in you !!!

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

OldMedic
on 8/5/11 12:08 am - Alvaton, KY
I am almost 3 years post-op and I can STILL only comfortably eat about 1/2 a cup.

So, your nut is NUTS!

Stop the freaking snacking.  Get rid of the carbs.  Get down to protein, protein, protein.  The simple matter is you are eating more calories than you are using.  Grapes, strawberries etc are HIGH in carbs (all sugars, including fruit sugars, are CARBS).  You are eating a LOT of carbs,  way more than you should be (about 3 times what you should be).  You seem to be eating about the right amount of protein.  But, your dietary choices are messing you up. 

And, it sounds like either your nutritionist either doesn't really know what you are eating, or they have lost their freaking mind.

This isn't rocket science.  It is actually very, very simple.  Until you get your weight to a pretty normal level, you need to force protein, avoid sugars like the plague and keep even the good carbs" to a minimal amount.

You do NOT need a gym membership to exercise.  I walk, and that is the ONLY exercise that I do or have done to lose weight.  Too hot and humid?  Fine, go to a local Mall and walk indoors.  You can come up with excuses, or you can take action.  It's YOUR choice.

As I have said, over and over again, if a lazy 65 year old couch potato like me could do this, then anyone CAN!

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

wildfan
on 8/5/11 7:46 am
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

Its funny how you guys trash the carbs. Until about a month ago, I was all protein. No fruit, no bread at all, and just a very tiny bit of veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, green beans mainly) now and then. Then I went in for a checkup and my NUT actually said I need to lessen the protein, and get more fruits and veggies in. I was surprised, because I was eating protein protein protein, and getting it all in every day with no supplementing, just meat, eggs, and cheese mostly. The NUT said I had to have some fruits and veggies too, and not worry about carbs per se, just stay away from BAD carbs like rice, potatoes, chips, white bread, etc. I was surprised because I always thought I was doing so great with everything.

I'll definitely be kicking the exercise back up, and go back to the heavier protein, lay off the fruits (even though I'll miss them LOL), and see where it goes. Thanks again everyone!
cancelsbronx
on 8/5/11 1:44 pm, edited 8/5/11 1:45 pm - Stamford, CT
Be careful with your sodium intake, it makes you retain water and it could be your retaining water and probably not actually gaining weight.  I am cautious about cold cuts.  Sometimes we may confuse thirst with hunger and when we eat foods that are higher in sodium it tends to make us thirsty.  Remember to follow the rule in seperating your liquids and solids.  My doctor recommends a break of an hour and a half after eating.  Then he suggests we may resume drinking low calorie liquids.  Try eating some beans for protein or egg whites for breakfast with fat free cheese. 

Good luck,

Santos

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views