Recovery Times?

TheBiscuit
on 8/21/11 4:02 am - TX
 Hello everyone! I will be sleeved sometime in the beginning of October and I'm worried how the downtime will effect my life. I can take off time from work, that's not an issue. I will be in the middle of my school semester, though, and that I CAN'T take off. I'm an otherwise healthy individual with no outstanding health problems aside from my weight (283 lbs). 25 years old and female. Obviously everyone is going to heal differently, but I'd like some feedback from people within my "type". I'm extremely concerned about falling behind in school.
ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/21/11 4:24 am
I too am a student, and will tell my professors that I will not be attending classes for a week due to surgery.  I will have my surgeons note in hand if they need it.  I will ask for all work up front and set up dates to take any exams that I miss.  College professors are understanding people when you are just a straight shooter with them.  Have the conversation privately.  You do not need to explain what your surgery is for, but merely state you will have a 2+ week recovery time, but can probably come back to class after one week. Good luck.
acbbrown
on 8/21/11 4:26 am - Granada Hills, CA
I'm not in school, but I went back to work after 10 days just to sit at my desk and make an appearance. As long as you arent carrying around anything heavy, and you are comfortable walking and sitting for a little bit, you should be okay. I'd take at least 2 weeks off if you can - if not, I probably could have done it after 7 days, but definitely would not have been up for it before then. Hopefully you don't have to be at school more than 2-3 hours a day because you are going to be super tired -I couldn't stay at work longer than 4-5 hours before I had to go home, and I wasn't even really doing much during that time.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

jojoslim
on 8/21/11 6:44 am
Its my one week surgeversary (sp?) and I am mentally ready to go back today.  I own my own business and want to know whats going on!  But I've booked two weeks off so I am going to spend the week relaxing and maybe go shopping/movies etc.  I definitely can't bend without a little ouch and wouldn't want to have to carry anything though.  I am not tired anymore (in fact feel positively full of energy!).  I have had a smooth recovery though - not everyone does so you may want to allow for that.  best of luck    

intothehaze
on 8/21/11 10:59 pm
 I was just sleeved on the 15th. It took the first 3 to 4 days to even remotely feel normal. However, once I was at home each day as been better and better (with a high focus on getting enough fluid and protien in to help me feel better). My pain was minimal, I only needed to take the pain killers one time since being home (the first night). I've been up and moving around, shopping with my wife, church, etc. Today is 7 days out and I feel OK enough that I'm going to head into the office for a few hours and try to start easing back into work life. I have a desk / meeting job, so it's not very physcially taxing but it is mentially. 

So it's really going to depend on you and your body. I've seen other posts where people say they were down for two or three solid weeks. I can only speak about my experience so far. Who knows, my wife thinks that me going to the office today is crazy, but we will see. :)

VGS Date: 8/15/11    
Age: 34 | Ht: 5' 11" | HW: 380 | Pre-op: 363 | SW: 300 | CW: 199.3 | GW: 190 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views