I Don't wanna tell the school nurse (in writing!) about my VSG :-(

kanga003
on 9/9/11 3:56 am
So on the staff medical info sheet (I'm a teacher) that is all confidential and all, there is a place for surgical history... I don't want anyone a work to know... including the nurse.

How bad is it if I don't list it....?

Kate1106
on 9/9/11 4:00 am - NJ
 I know how you feel.  I'm a teacher too.  I think, though, that it's important that they know.  That way, if you are, god forbid, incompacitated, the EMT's will know.  My doc makes me carry a card in my wallet warning about NG tube placement for EMT's and emergency care personnel,

felicity2u
on 9/9/11 4:00 am - LA

I think that it is in your best interest to put it because if anything happens to you at school and you are unresponsive, they have to look at this sheet and this surgery is pretty important to know about! A true medical professional should not go around telling your business and if they do, they can get in serious trouble.  I would definately list it though for your own saftey.

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

cattywompos
on 9/9/11 4:03 am
I personally don't think it would be a big issue if you didn't list it.  If anything truly terrible happened to you I am sure your family would be called and they could give that information to the individuals taking care of you.  You just have a tiny tummy, I can't see that causing too many issues.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

carabarnes
on 9/9/11 4:37 am
I personally would go ahead and release the info. All that information is confidential. Just in case something were to ever happen.

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

tripmom02
on 9/9/11 4:42 am - NJ
 I agree, I would list it, if anything ever happend this is information you want the EMT's to know right away so they don't do anything that could hurt you more. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

tripmom02
on 9/9/11 5:57 am - NJ
Just being the devils advocate again, what if they take you to a hospital that is not the one you had surgery at? Many times in an unresponsive patient they place a NG tube, that when done blind on a bariatric surgery patient can damage the stomach. They need to know before you get to the ER that you are a bariatric patient, I keep a paper will all the info attached to my insurance card in my wallet, but who knows if that will help if something happens at the school, they might not send your purse on to the hospital with you and by the time they find out it might be to late and the damage could be done. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

ib40
on 9/9/11 4:52 am
I've worked in a small school for years and I wouldn't put anything on a "confidential" information sheet unless I was okay with everyone knowing all about it. I don't think folks tell your secrets purposely. It's just been my experience that student confidentiality is much more enforced that employee confidentiality. And sure, you can file a grievance, blah, blah, blah, but that only creates a situation where even more individuals become involved in your personal life. JMO
koshermama
on 9/9/11 5:33 am
I think you are right to be concerned. The theory and practice of HIPAA laws are not one and the same. Maybe you can just put "gastrectomy" and the date? But all they'd have to do is google it to get an idea of what was done. Or maybe ask your surgeon how to describe the surgery accurately yet as vague as possible. "Abdominal Laparoscopy"??

If you haven't had the surgery yet, I would think you don't have to list it!

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
queen R.
on 9/9/11 6:29 am - enid, OK

I AM A SCHOOL NURSE.  i KNOW THAT I WOULD NEVER DISCLOSE THAT INFORMATION TO ANYONE, BUT I CAN'T SPEAK FOR EVERYONE ELSE.  OUR SCHOOL WOULD NEVER EXPECT THE FACULTY TO DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION HOWEVER.  I WOULD JUST SAY WHATEVER YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH.  GOOD LUCK.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views