Day 13 & Been through the ringer!

emdesq
on 9/13/11 3:55 pm
I had my surgery on 9/1, and my first eight days of recovery were a dream! Felt good, very little discomfort, taking in fluids easily, meeting my daily requirements, and losing weight.  Then Day Nine came.  That evening, I started violently vomiting about a half hour after eating my dinner of protein bullion.  All Day Ten and Eleven were spent wretching on a regular basis.  Needless to say on Day Twelve, I was seriously dehydrated.  I spent the day in the ER getting IV fluids.  Cat scan of my belly showed no leaks or abnormalities, so I was sent home with three different types of nausea medication.  Today started out pretty sketchy with one bout of serious vomiting mid-day (despite the meds), but by tonight things are a bit better.  I'm semi-miserable, wondering if I made a HUGE mistake by having this procedure.  Has anyone else dealt with this? I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel......!!!

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200
Melissa P.
on 9/13/11 4:11 pm - East Bay, CA
Im sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time, hopefully the meds will make it easier to tolerate fluid intake.  Try 1 tsp of fluid/clear liquids every 5-10 mins to avoid overloading and see if that helps.  Thats what has helped me the first few days, Im only 7 days post op and have had a really hard time of it so far.  As of yet, I have not gotten a daily requirement of fluids, nutrients, or protein due to nausea and pain.  I am still questioning whether this surgery what the right decision...but keep with it and know Im right there with you.  Good Luck!

frisco
on 9/13/11 6:18 pm

I'm thinking your through the hard part and soon this will be a distant memory....... It is a reminder though that this is not an easy surgery.....both for the surgeon and the patient.

We often hear "Laparoscopic" in one day out the next....The reality is that although not a heart transplant it is major surgery and there will be trauma to your body.

All I can share with you is that we have similar BMI numbers and amount of weight to lose. I went from a 54 to 24.6 and I got my life back. I'm a firm believer in turning negatives to positives and I think your rough start will benefit you in the long run. Because of your rough start your weight loss will be more rewarding to you in a weird kinda way.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

VickyBT
on 9/13/11 9:40 pm - MI
Your body is adjusting to a major trauma.
The first 4 - 6 weeks are the hardest.
I'm having my struggles too.
Hang in there.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

denebbers
on 9/13/11 11:22 pm - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
Hang in there guys! You will soon be feeling better Keep us updated!

Lots of prayers your way !!
C. Champion
on 9/14/11 12:58 am - Minneapolis, MN
Im sorry I know it sucks bad! I didnt get any vomiting but I was nauseated alot! I am one month post op now and I feel great. I too thought I had made the worst mistake of my life having this surgery, I was so depressed because I felt so sick and I wanted a do over! Trust me it gets better, I promise! I know that doesnt help you now but just try and slow down your fluids, I think you are drinking to fast and to much and that is making you spasm and vomit. I still cannot get the recommended fluids in but I feel great because I am not sick anymore. Just try and slow down I think that will help alot and take your nausea meds as prescribed dont wait till you feel it take it on a schedule thats what I had to start doing. But truly, I know what you feel I hated myself for having the surgery and putting my body through such a trauma because I was so sick, once you stop feeling sick and can eat normal food you will feel great I swear just hang in there you will be fine and it will get better! I felt like I was going to be sick for the rest of my life but im not and I feel good, it took about 2 and a half weeks to start feeling somewhat better and then it just got easier from there. Good luck, you will be fine!!
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

Karen Vaughan
on 9/14/11 12:57 pm - GA
My VSG was 8/24/11  Only 3 weeks out and I feel it has been a lifetime.  I too have nausea and throw up everyday.  Most times it's just liquid or saliva and acid but other times it's full on and dry heaving.

My Dr said to only do a clear liquid diet for a few more weeks. Not to worry about protein but to consentrate on hydrating.  I still can't get in 64 oz a day. I'm scared that I may never eat again. At least I'm not hungry or else I would have eated someones face off by now  lol
I love this sight to hear others going through the same things.

I'm loosing too fast 281 - 240 and I suspect I may need to get some IV Fuilds soon.  I've contacted my Dr office and not getting the response I 'd hope for.  I'm also worried about what the acid is doing to my teeth.  I rinse with Listerine each time I throw up....hope it helps.   Other than the Nausea and Vomiting I feel good ...no fever, no pain.  I do have Acid Reflux and on a PPI 2xa day.  But it still wakes me up choking some nights.

Some days are better than others but I still have not gone back to work.  I use a nausea patch and it gives me doulble vision so I'm afraid to drive.  I'm ok taking pills so I'm also doing Phenagren and Zofran.  not sure I have the right con****tion yet.  

I'm trusting in everyone on here saying it will get better!  I'm hoping my day will come sooner than later.  Hang tough.  We can do it!

emdesq
on 9/14/11 3:46 pm
Your symptoms sound identical to mine! You need to run, not walk, to the ER and get IV fluids.  The meds did nothing for me until I got my body hydrated again!  The Zofran is helping tremendously, but I'm still not 100% "right".  My doc said I may have to go get another round of IV fluids before I fully recover.....dehydration is no joke!

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200
J.e.t.
on 9/14/11 4:01 pm
 I'm really sorry it's been so rough.  We were sleeved on the same day, I assume same hospital.  It really does seem inexplicable why some people have relatively easy recoveries and others have such a rough time.  Luckily, you have a very good and experienced surgeon who I feel confident won't steer you wrong.  

I don't think you made a mistake having the surgery, but it sure sucks right now.  I really hope it gets better soon.  Hang in there.
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.