Getting rid of clothes - bittersweet

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/27/11 8:25 am
I am over 50 pounds down and that equates to about 3 sizes for me.  I started out in 22/20, almost sailed right through 18, and am now somewhere between 16/14.  While this is awesome, I have a huge business/business casual wardrobe in the 18/20/22 range that no longer fits.  I loved some of those clothes.  I've been trying to sell them for cheap on craigslist in order to have some seed money for upcoming sizes.  And well, the whole craigslist experience has been sorta crappy.  Lots of inquiries/questions/requests for photos and then not much action.  And a few creeps along the way, like the guy who asked if I had an lingerie for sale.  Today I finally sold 7 items, so that was good.

Anyhow, I have tubs and tubs full of 16, 14 and 12s in my basement, so I went "shopping" in those this past weekend.  A few 16s are a little baggy already.  I forgot I had a really nice pair of Calvin Klein jeans... fit nice right now.  The 14s are mixed... some fit and some don't.  But I have tons of those and 12s, so I'm set for a bit.  I hope to end up a size 8 or 10 which will be all brand new purchases.  Fun!

Just mourning my old clothes and seeing dollar signs flying out the window.  If no one buys them, I will donate them to Goodwill (or similar) and take the tax writeoff.  

Or if someone on here is interested in specific items, such as pant suits, dresses, dress pants, dress shirts, sweaters, etc in the 18/20/22 range, let me know!  I can't ship the whole shebang because it will be super heavy/expensive, but individual items or a couple at a time is doable. 

Thanks for reading.  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

dcamacho01
on 9/27/11 8:44 am
Can you take them to a seamstress to have them fixed? I want to keep some of my big size clothing and I will have them fixed if possible. I was also 20/22 and 3 weeks alredy into surgery I purchased some shorts for this past weekend and they are 18. I would also recommend that you put them in EBAY, you will have a better chance on selling them there than in Craigslist and you can post pics.

I am not buying anything until I loose all the weight is too much money....Good luck!!!

Diana
Diana

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/27/11 8:49 am
I have only mildly dabbled in ebay dealings, so I may give that a try for some of the nicer items.

Elaine2
on 9/27/11 8:45 am - Atlanta, GA
What about a local consignment shop? I think they take a % but it might be better than dealing with some crazies from craigslist!!   Then if they don't sell you could donate them.

Just a thought.

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/27/11 8:48 am
Not a bad idea!  I'll have to look into it.

Mr-Smith
on 9/27/11 9:51 am - Hillsdale, MI
I think the tax benifit of donating your clothes is probably close to the payoff you get dealing with craigslist and selling them off.  And you don't have all the hassels and creeps.

Just my 2 cents, you miliage may very.

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/27/11 1:00 pm
I've done some calculations and I think you're right!

LeahBea
on 9/27/11 10:31 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Bittersweet indeed, just went through my clothes on Sunday evening and realized I don't really have more than a few items I saved that will fit from here on down. Which means borrowing clothes from a work friend (God bless her!), taking hand-me-downs from friends and goodwill.

The bitter:
Goodwill is pretty useless as of thus far. I wear a 18/20 right now, plenty of those sizes.... For geriatrics.

The sweet:
People that have helped donate old clothes to "my cause" that are not horrible old lady clothes. I have good friends.

Leah

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/27/11 1:01 pm
I've spent hours at my three local Goodwills picking up 16's, which I was somehow missing (must have gained REALLY FAST back in the day and jumped right from 14 to 18).  It takes a long time to pick through stuff, but I got some nice dress clothes for cheap.  And now, a few weeks later, they already are too baggy.  Love it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views