70/70 in 4 months.....

No More Spanx
on 10/9/11 2:24 am - Rock Island, IL
I stared at my scale in disbelief this AM when the scale hit 165.  I realized that I not only lost 70 pounds 2 days shy of my 4th month, but I have lost 70% of my body weight from my highest weight of 235.   I am 5'3"  and 47 years old.

I cannot say that each day has been easy because some moments are wrought with remorse/regret, mourning food, head hunger, physical changes like constipation, saggy skin, and I am now starting to lose my hair.  But when I look at my journey as a whole all of those things fade away with the great blessings I have received from this weight loss and the surgery as a whole.

Had I NOT had this surgery I would:
1. Be taking insulin for type 2 Diabetes
2. Be suffering from swollen ankles and knees that sometimes rendered me incapable of walking
3. Be suffering with low self-esteem which my 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son were subjected to
4. Be unable to take my kids on a 30 mile bike ride
5. NEVER be able to fit in a size 12 pants and a medium top

I never told anyone that I had this surgery, and least of all that I went to Mexico to do it.  I could have afforded any doctor in the US but I choose Dr. Alvarez for the sheer number of happy patients and sleeves he performed.  I did not not have any nausea and no major discomfort that caused me alarm and I feel that my recovery was "textbook".  I am pretty self-disciplined and I followed his plan to the letter.  I can say that if I had the access to an experienced VSG surgeon who provided an aftercare program locally that I could attend (one like Dr. Cirangle on the west coast) I would have selected them.  It is just as important to have that additional support and I believe my journey would have been much easier with a strong support system like that.

My sleeve is doing what it is supposed to do because I CHOOSE to let it.  I am not going to say I love it....I am going to say that I LOVE ME for making the decision to change my unhappy life, researching and finding a surgeon who kept me safe, and most of all not second guessing what I need to do to be successful.

Thanks to all here on OH...you have been my aftercare program, my cheerleaders and my source of knowledge for this great journey!

Ann
HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

Paige V.
on 10/9/11 2:30 am - Gainesville, FL
awesome for you!

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

exitrealtor4u
on 10/9/11 2:44 am - MD
Awesome. The hair loss don't fret because you will get your hair back. Dont' add any chemicals right now. Take your vitamins and get your protein in FAITHFULLY! The vitamins and the protein will help with the hair loss. You had major surgery so it takes a toll on your hair. Just don't miss your vitamins and get the appropriate amount of protein. Remember that your body does not absorb everything you take it so you may have to increase your protein. Talk to your doctor about your hair loss and see what he/she can suggest. To keep your hair from getting brittle and breaking, use protein treatments on your hair and stay away from harsh chemicals (hair dyes, perms, etc.****il your 6 months out. 6 months out is when your hair should stop thinning and/or falling out. Good Luck.

No More Spanx
on 10/9/11 3:10 am - Rock Island, IL

Thank you for the great advice! I have increased my protein just by being to fit a little more in my sleeve.  I am able to eat 1/2 cup protein (or 2 - 2.5 oz) as opposed to the 1/4 cup (or 1.5 oz) that I was eating, and I am still doing 2 shakes a day at 30g per.  I am afraid it is the nature of the beast of surgery and one of the backlashes that truly suck (other than saggy skin). 

It looks like rockin your sleeve too, keep it up!!!

Ann

howarli
on 10/9/11 5:14 am - MD
Hi,  just had my surgery about a week ago.........would you say it is safe to perm my hair since it is early in the game?
Kelly L.
on 10/9/11 2:55 am
Wow, that's awesome!!! Congrats to you on your success. And I have to add, that I just love your username. You have truly rocked your sleeve, and it is very inspiring. I have the dreaded hair loss too, and it's scary! I read and researched for yrs and knew this was possible/probable, but it still didn't quite prepare me for it. But hopefully I won't go completely bald and it will come back!!
No More Spanx
on 10/9/11 3:16 am - Rock Island, IL
You know...the way I see it, there are some beautiful women rockin the bald look.   If that is my destiny then so be it.  I have really thick hair, so I think I will be OK.  I am still wearing my Spanx and found they are more friend than the foe than they once were.  They are smoothing the sagoliciousness that I am now sporting.  With my spanx my stomach looks nearly flat.  Haven't had that in a LONG time!  Now the bQQbs....that is a diiferent story!

Thank you so much for the kind words!!

Ann

J.e.t.
on 10/9/11 3:38 am
 Great post, and congratulations!  
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

abrown8434
on 10/9/11 3:45 am - VA
AWESOME and AWESOME job!!! Keep up the good work! 

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/11 5:56 am - Castle Rock, CO
wtg!! congrats & continued success to you!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views