Gross Subject

AtlantaGirlel
on 10/18/11 10:13 pm - GA
I had my surgery October 14th so I have been sleeved almost a week.  I have diarrhea and can barely make it to the bathroom.  This usually starts in the late afternoon.  I would like to be able to take my kids to their after school activiites and keep my husband from having to do all the running around but I feel like I need to get an adult diaper to go anywhere!  I know a lot of people experience constipation but I'm having the opposite problem.   Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to make this better?

kanga003
on 10/18/11 10:22 pm
I was lucky... but I have heard that liquid in... liquid out.  It should let up as soon as you start adding food... there is also the chance of lactose intolerance, but it my be a bit early for that.

Sorry... (((hugs)))... I'd say let him run around for another week or so... you need to rest any how!  Maybe this is a twisted way of keeping you from over doing it?!

I promise... this too shall pass!
Ms. Poker Face
on 10/18/11 10:43 pm
I also had the experience of diarrhea where I couldn't make it to the bathroom.  A few things could be going on.  Liquid in, liquid out, but usually it isn't an emergency to get to the bathroom.  Or, it could be lactose intolerance.  That may be why it starts in the afternoon (after drinking protein shakes starting in the morning?).  Or, worst case scenario like I had, an infection.  I ended up having c diff.  I went 20-30 times a day of watery diarrhea with it, so unless yours is that bad, it's probably not an infection. 

Don't be afraid to call your surgeon, which is what I did back when I was suffering.  It can't hurt to seek his advice.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

jojomoe523
on 10/18/11 11:24 pm - PA
I too had the runs for a while after surgery. it didn't matter if i did "milky" protein or protein shots, i just ran. as soon as i started adding things in, it stopped.

I feel for you and i hope it gets better soon.

AtlantaGirlel
on 10/18/11 11:27 pm - GA
Well, I didn't think it was too soon to run the kids because they want us up and walking around.  All I would to do is take them and sit and watch.  I haven't been lactose intolerant before so could I now?  I am not going 20 to 30 times a day by any means.  I do believe it is just the fact that I am taking in so many liquids.  I am still really gassy so maybe that plays into it too.  I may call the dr. and see what they say.  I have read that other people have had this problem so maybe it is pretty common.  I'm sure our bodies are freaking out from all the changes.  We just have to deal with them. 

Kim_M
on 10/18/11 11:45 pm - LaPorte, TX
That was the norm for me liquid in liquid out !!!!!It will get better

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
BriarRose
on 10/19/11 1:23 am
I had to stop any lactose for a while. I never had a problem before with lactose intolerance, but at about a week out of surgery --- I had the same issue as you. I stopped all lactose. NO protein shakes, nothing with lactose, and it eased up -- surgeon was very supportive and helpful through this, so I would also call and at least do a phone consult.

After a few weeks surgeon suggested trying out lactose and seeing what happens and it was fine. No problems since.

Give up lactose for a week, and see if that helps !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
USAF Wife
on 10/19/11 1:27 am
I never had lactose issues before VSG, but developed a milk and whey intolerance post-op. I could do cheese and yogurt, but milk and protein drinks were out.

I took additional probiotics to help as well, and I do believe they slowed down some of the liquids out I experienced.

It does get better, hang in there !
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

frisco
on 10/19/11 3:49 am

Don't trust a fart............ Just sayin....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

sunnymicki
on 10/19/11 3:56 am
After surgery, once I started the protein shakes, I was having tons of gas and diarrhea.  I switched to lactose free milk, and either used egg protein (instead of the whey isolate) or Nectar proteins, which are lactose free.  And even though I was on liquids, I found that my stools became solid and much...calmer and on a regular shedule.  It was no longer "liquid in, liquid out."  The gas went away too. 

Now I've found that sticking with the lactose free milk, I can use pretty much any protein powder I want (I have lots of samples) and not have ill effects.  Eventually I'll try adding the regular skim milk back in and seeing how I tolerate it, but not for now.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views