For those who had VSG and have or had GERD

bathoria
on 10/23/11 1:33 pm - San Antonio, TX
 I have a surgery date set in November but my surgeon is trying to push a little the RYN on me because of my GERD and my long history of diabetis. My question is for those who had VSG,how long you had the surgery and how is working after with your GERD and reflux? I am sure I want the Sleeve,but I am scared about my gerd getting worse after the surgery. I will appreciate your help. Thanks!
wade 1.
on 10/23/11 2:30 pm - TX
I have been a long time GERD suffer. I haven't had any problems with it since my surgery, but I do take my meds.

acbbrown
on 10/23/11 2:42 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I had surgery 4.5 mo ago, and I never had GERD prior, but do suffer from it now. The last couple weeks I seem to have gotten some control over it with diet/meds.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Carpe_Diem
on 10/23/11 3:26 pm - Mississauga, Canada
My surgeon wanted the RNY surgery for me because of my GERD.  It's because a VSG may actually make the GERD worse.  You will likely need to take a PPI every day going forward to control the acid production.  But you may be doing that now anyway, so it shouldn't put you off the VSG.  In addition, type II diabetes can be improved or cured with a VSG.  Cheers!
                                     GRAVITY SUCKS  
          LEAD, FOLLOW, or GET OUT OF THE WAY !     
sundaymorning
on 10/23/11 4:09 pm

I had acid reflux pretty bad before surgery but it got a little better after surgery.
I never took medication and recently I had multiple ulcers on my esophagus..i guess the damage had already been done.  
I think as long as you're careul and you're on medication, you shouldn't have any problem.  Good luck on your decision.  

SC629
on 10/23/11 5:46 pm - CA
(This is a partial repost of earlier comment):

My doc explained why and how his surgical technique greatly reduces the chance of GERD (and maybe helps "cure" it in those that have it?) If your surgeon is cautioning you agaist the sleeve because of GERD, I would keep looking for one who knows how to minimize this complication.
dec721
on 10/23/11 9:33 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Had it pre-op, have it post-op.  Ho hum.  Nexium knocks it right out :-)
--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

denebbers
on 10/24/11 12:47 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
Had it BAD Pre-op, I'm 12 days out and have not had a single issue. I am still taking my PPI once daily, but absolutely no complications w my GERD

Best of luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 183 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views