Weightloss has stopped!!! Help!!!

carolineblack
on 11/4/11 4:38 am, edited 11/4/11 4:59 am - London, England, United Kingdom
I had my surgery on 4th April. From April to August 50lbs just fell off. Not sure what I am doing wrong but the scale has stopped being my friend and has not moved since Aug 31st. My doctor is putting me back on Thyroid medication as he thinks this may have something to do with it. My thyroid functions on and off. I am open to all the advice any of you can send my way. I have another 40lbs to go and I can't believe this is the end of the road! Help!!!!!

acbbrown
on 11/4/11 4:56 am - Granada Hills, CA

Your sleeve doesn't control your weight loss. Your thyroid might. Or your food choices. Are you tracking what you eat? How many calories? Carbs? Are you exercising?

When the scale stops, it is good to explore all possibilities. Look at any changes you can make, go back to the basics and see if it jump starts your loss. Sometimes after a while we get a little complacent with our intake and calories start sneaking in. It could just be thyroid issues too though.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Mom4Jazz
on 11/4/11 5:02 am
We could help better if we understood what you are eating and drinking. Do you track your food: protein, calories and carbs? Your fluids?

It might be your thyroid, but knowing what you're eating and drinking would help us help you.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

carolineblack
on 11/4/11 5:17 am - London, England, United Kingdom
 I am tracking my food intake and keep my carbs under 15g.  My protein averages around 50g.  I don't drink alcohol and my only sweet fix is an Atkins fudge bar three times a week with 3g of carbs, 25g of protein and 200 cals.  I only drink water and decaf coffee with skim milk.  My intake is so measured that I often have to take headache tablets from lack of food.  Whether I eat more or less the weight won't budge and I have no support here or aftercare.  I may go back on liquids for a week to see what happens.

Mom4Jazz
on 11/4/11 5:47 am

You need more protein, that's for sure. If you get headaches from lack of food you may need to have small meals 4 or 5 times a day, provided they're under about 800 total calories a day. I eat 4 meals and one smaller snack.

First, your problem may well be your thyroid not what you're eating as far as weight loss. Don't know why your doctor took you off your meds, thyroid isn't a condition the VSG (or any weight loss surgery) helps, but it's good you're back on.

In case, here are some thoughts on your diet:

Don't track net carbs, track carbs. For us, net carbs are a cheat. Sugar alcohols due not make our blood sugar spike, but some of them provide 75% of the effect of sugars so you can't just discount them. Count all carbs. Atkins bars are actually pretty bad.

Here's the standard diet we see a lot of folks being successful with:

Calories 600-800
Protein 70+ (80+ for men, I also go 80+)
Carbs

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Eileen36
on 11/4/11 5:23 am - PA
Everybody's different. A lot of people have been successful doing what you're doing. I, however, have had success by eating more calories (1200), not restricting my carbs, and exercising a lot. Assuming it's not your thyroid, maybe you need to change what you're doing. The fact that you're taking headache tablets makes me think your body is not happy with your plan. The goal is to feed better, not worse.
Eileen

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 6/8/12!! - LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift & Medial Thigh Lift             
46_11tobeme
on 11/4/11 5:27 am - NJ
 If you have thyroid issues make sure you keep on top of it!  i too suffer from hypothyroidism and before I had this surgery I had 2 episodes where i gained 20-25 lbs in less than 2 months - and of course my thyroid was low again. I have my labs checked every 3 months - sometimes they are high, sometimes low, sometimes OK. My PCP is great about working with me and adjusting my meds. Make sure they check more than the TSH - mine was always normal but T3 and T4 were low with really high antibodies so sometimes you have to dig for answers. Thyroid problems suck but be patient and make sure you have a good MD.

carolineblack
on 11/4/11 5:29 am - London, England, United Kingdom
 The only major change I could make is to exercise more but I can't.   Aside from walking and some hand weights at home I don't have any options as I am on a computer all day.   

carolineblack
on 11/4/11 5:34 am - London, England, United Kingdom
 Thank you for that!  My thyroid was so low in September that my hair was falling out and I was exhausted all the time.  I was only able to see my doctor last week and they took bloods and put me back on thyroid meds at a much higher dose.  It has been a week now and I am feeling less tired but the scale seems glued.  I have three scales in my bathroom all lined up next to each other in the hope one of them may give me better news!!!!  

46_11tobeme
on 11/4/11 5:40 am - NJ
 Stay off the scale! You are stressing yourself out. I have found that even when my thyroid meds are increased it takes a little while to effect my energy and weight. So many people have thyroid issues you would think there would be a better treatment. It will get better and you will lose again. Believe me i feel your pain - people who dont have thyroid issues have no idea how much it can effect your life!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views