I just don't feel prepared....

KSqtpie
on 12/19/11 3:48 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
I am in my 5th month of the 6 mo supervised diet. Last week I attended the education class through my program and it really opened my eyes that I am REALLY doing this. I thought 6 months would take forever to get through and by the end I would be super prepared and mentally ready for this surgery. I feel the exact opposite. I don't even feel like I know where to start in getting prepared. I am having a lot of second thoughts, so maybe subconsciously I am procrastinating as a way to delay the surgery....I dunno.

What did you guys do the month before surgery to get prepared? I need to get organized and fast... :) Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/11 3:57 am
You're here so that's a good start. The best thing I did was make lists. Tons of lists. I made detailed lists of vitamins, foods, protein drinks (start trying some), some recipes (that people here recommend), what to take to the hospital, and for the last month I just read and read on here and asked the questions that I wasn't sure of. By my surgery day I felt comfortable and trust me, I was SO not ready a month before hand.
KSqtpie
on 12/19/11 2:17 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thank you for your reply. I do have a lot of notes I have taken from OH, from my surgeon, psych, PCP, etc. I think it's just a matter of getting organized and wrapping my brain around the reality of this step in my life. I think I am intimidated by the idea that there is absolutely no going back. This isn't some fad diet that I'm going to try and fail. Thanks for the support :)
sundaymorning
on 12/19/11 4:07 am
 I had to go through 12 weeks of classes plus I had already wanted it for 2 years at that point so I did a LOT of research..but I still felt extremely unprepared when the day came.  Going through the 6 month supervised diet is already an amazing start. I know of many people who didn't go through classes or diets and had surgery and i really believe that it must be a complete mind shock for them.  Anyways, my best advice is to talk to someone who has been through all of the steps..classes, diets, surgery, everything.  If you have any questions feel free to message me and I can tell you all about my experience if you'd like.  Anyways, good luck and just relax.  It seems completely insane for the first couple months but then it becomes a lifestyle and the norm. 
KSqtpie
on 12/19/11 2:23 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Congrats on your success! I am really appreciative of the support. I don't feel I have truly committed myself during this 6 month process, I just went through the motions. At this point, I'm disappointed with myself. I feel I didn't maximize my opportunity to be completely prepared like I should be. I lost some weight the first couple months, but after that...I actually gained a couple pounds. I guess I'm feeling like a failure like I always do when I fall off the wagon. But I'm pulling myself together, cuz I'm going to do this! Thanks for listening :)
acbbrown
on 12/19/11 5:06 am - Granada Hills, CA

I spent a year getting *mentally* prepared, but as for practical things, pretty much nothing. I had nothing in my house when i left for surgery, hell, i didnt even pack a bag for the hospital. I grabbed my purse and walked out the door. I did do laundry and cleaned before I left since I knew I wouldnt be able to do those for a while.

When I got home, I was like...oooops. My mom ran out and bought me a recliner as soon as I got home and I couldnt sit or lay anywhere in the house. And then I sent my crazy sister to the grocery store with a list. It all worked out. I think i was pretty much in denial until I got to the OR room and then it was too late to do anything. I got what meds I needed as I left the hospital and on day 5 I think i managed to wander out for my vites.

Dont over think it. Just  try and relax.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

KSqtpie
on 12/19/11 2:28 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thanks for your response. Today I started making lists of things I need to do/buy to be prepared for surgery. Luckily, I live alone so I can empty my cabinets. My mom is going to come stay with me for a week or two. Cleaning from top to bottom will absolutely happen before surgery, cuz I am planning on doing NOTHING for at least a week. Did a recliner really work for you??? The physical therapist at my education class said NO recliners because you have to use abs to get in and out of them. I'm also worried about getting in and out of bed. Maybe i will get a stool to make it easier. I am worried about coming across something that is an obstacle that i didn't foresee. Oh what an adventure. Take Care!
Most Active