myth: muscle weights more than fat

cpbkmb06
on 1/6/12 1:27 pm
VSG on 02/02/12
Truth: a pound is a pound. Weather it is a pound of bricks compared to a pound of feathers--they both equal a pound. Muscle is leaner and takes up less space than fat, so a muscular 175 (for example only) will look leaner and obviously better than a "fat" (for lack of better word) 175, but both still weigh 175. I am shocked at all the posts and responses that state muscle weighs more than fat..a lb. is a lb. no matter what is being weighed!

That is all...carry on :)

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 1:34 pm
True, and yet not so true.  Muscle does weigh much more than fat, by VOLUME.  While a pound of muscle of course weighs the same as a pound of fat, a a cubic foot of muscle weighs a great deal more than a cubic foot of fat.

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

cpbkmb06
on 1/6/12 1:38 pm
VSG on 02/02/12
correct. But weight and volume are 2 different units of measure :)

SleevedLife
on 1/6/12 2:50 pm
Honestly, I think you're getting too hung up on semantics. 

One might say lead weighs more than feathers.  Obviously a pound of lead is equal to a pound of feathers in weight.  But when someone says "lead weighs more than feathers"  we all know what they mean - they mean by volume, of course.  Same with when someone says muscle weighs more than fat.

If you get too hung up on grammar and semantics, your brain might explode if you hang around messages boards too long. ;)  And that's not hyperbole, I mean that literally.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 1:45 pm
Whn it comes to size, more muscle = less size. Plus it equals much higher static calori burn.  The leaner you are, the more calories you burn per lb.
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 1:48 pm
I think you understood the point of those you were mocking.  If you want to be technical about it, they were speaking of density, which of course is mass/volume.  And yes, muscle wins big time. 
USAF Wife
on 1/6/12 1:55 pm
It's a constant on all WLS forums. I gave up a good year ago trying to explain the difference between "weight" and "volume". There's always an argument.

But, it's one of the few things that irks me to NO end when someone uses it as justification for a gain on the scale. I just want to scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOO a pound is a pound. But, it's futile and it's a discussion that just goes in circles.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 3:15 pm
Serious question. How does it work when people are in a stall and they're working out and they are losing inches (fat I'm assuming) but the scale doesn't move. Does that have something to do with muscle and fat? People keep saying you're losing fat and inches during this time but if the scale isn't moving wouldn't you be building muscle during this time to replace that weight? I'm really wondering because I'm stalled and the scale isn't moving and I THINK I see inches coming off.
USAF Wife
on 1/6/12 9:25 pm, edited 1/6/12 9:29 pm
On January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM Pacific Time, shwag5150 wrote: Serious question. How does it work when people are in a stall and they're working out and they are losing inches (fat I'm assuming) but the scale doesn't move. Does that have something to do with muscle and fat? People keep saying you're losing fat and inches during this time but if the scale isn't moving wouldn't you be building muscle during this time to replace that weight? I'm really wondering because I'm stalled and the scale isn't moving and I THINK I see inches coming off.

It's my understanding that when we build muscle mass, those muscles get little rips or tears in the tissue and it needs water to repair (building muscles) thus our bodies retain water. I would recommend taking measurements of your neck, chest/bust, waist, upper arm, hip, upper thigh, calf and when the scale slows down, remeasure. 

Fat is bulky, bumpy takes up more space (volume) than muscle which is lean, and more dense than fat.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/12 10:12 pm
OMG you just made me crack up!!!! I already read your response and i came back to read someone elses and as I was scrolling up I saw this added picture and I was like "ewww who posted a slug!?!?"

Your picture totally represents the reason why people say "muscle weighs more than fat." Even though a pound is still a pound, they meaning it's more dense and by volume. I know it's being said wrong but that's what they're meaning. God, isn't fat ugly!? I can't believe how much I have on me! Now I'm grossed out.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views