Feeding Family

ewalch
on 1/8/12 12:26 am - Oak Park, IL
Ok so I am set to have my surgery on the 19 and for the first time I am wondering how I am going to manage cooking for my two teenage boys.  Cooking and smelling all the wonderful aromas from what I will be making for them seems like will be torture to me.  Any ideas out there?  Just because my diet will be altered doesn't mean that theirs needs to be. 
tripmom02
on 1/8/12 12:46 am - NJ
How old are they? Can you just get them some easy to make stuff for those couple of weeks so you don't have to worry about it (b/c trust me, at first you aren't even going to be up to cooking for them). I prepared several frozen meals before hand, things I could easily just toss in the oven and let them serve themselves (cassarols etc). 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/12 12:50 am
I'm mean. I say it's time they start learning to cook.
Ms. Poker Face
on 1/8/12 12:53 am
I agree with the others - make sure to have some easy stuff on hand or throw some stuff in the freezer that can easily be warmed up.  And maybe have some things they have to cook for themselves.  You mention they are teenage so I think it's time.  

You won't feel like cooking for awhile and the smells could make you nauseas.  Plus, it may be tempting to eat that stuff which you know you can't.  So, make it easy on you and have them do some of the work.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/12 12:57 am
Everyone is different. I didn't want food the first couple of weeks. It was a little harder during mushies, but I was terrified of doing damage so it helped.

Have them cook as others have said? Eat before you cook so you are full. But remember its a short term situation.

46_11tobeme
on 1/8/12 1:16 am - NJ
 My husband took care of food for the first few weeks until I was on solid food. After that, I went back to cooking b/c it is something I LOVE to do. It was easier when I could eat a few bites of the protein and vegetables that I cooked. Freeze some meals, have them cook, or have them order Dominos! You will not feel like cooking when you come home from the hospital. Good luck!

julesGA
on 1/8/12 1:42 am, edited 1/8/12 1:42 am - Brunswick, GA
My daughter and I had a discussion about how to handle this, especially during my two week pre-op diet.  She readily agreed that my cooking for her was not only unncessary, it could even be counter-productive.  We went shopping together and loaded up on the items needed for for meals that were easy for her to prepare.   It worked out great.  

The first two weeks post op weren't a problem because I wasn't hungry anyway.  Now, we basically eat the same things but I will forgo any carby sides.  

Your sons are plenty old enough to fend for themselves. Your future daughter-in-law will thank you!  

nandmsmom
on 1/8/12 1:58 am - Bridgewater, MA
VSG on 01/10/12
My surgery is Tuesday.  I've always been a scratch cook, so I made extra meals for the freezer.  We also went to Trader Joes and got some frozen foods that didn't make my skin crawl, but made the kids and my hubby feel like they were getting a special treat. 

HW 290   SW 272  CW  234
cpbkmb06
on 1/8/12 3:30 am
VSG on 02/02/12
my kids are younger (9 and 5) and my husband plans on cooking for them after I start my pre-op diet. (should start around the 19th). We have talked about it and decided meal time is the PERFECT time for me to take a walk! That way, I get my excercize in without food temptations. I am with the others though, if they are teenagers, there isn't any reason they can't fix something quick and easy for themselves while you are going through this. Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/12 4:15 am - Overland Park, KS
 I have a toddler and a husband who can't cook to save his life. I didn't really want much in the first few weeks after surgery. Honestly, if you are getting in enough protein you probably won't want whatever it is you are cooking. You could just try cooking some of the stuff that you don't like as much but that they still do enjoy. Also, now that I'm about 1.5months out, I have just been cooking as usual but trying to make things a bit more healthy. No one has complained and I just cut out the bread and starch and stick to eating my protein and occasionally a tiny salad. It's working for us! I just can't be bothered fixing two separate meals every night, and I'm sure you can't either. You just have to find that happy medium. 

Good luck!

~Micah
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views