3 day post op=WEIGHT GAIN!!!!

shesharpy
on 2/1/12 8:54 am - MI
VSG on 01/30/12
Today is my first day home. I had the VSG done on Monday the 30th of January. Naturally I weighed myself and I am back to the weight I was before my 2 week protein fast!! Has this happened to anyone else and how long until this came off????
italiana1980
on 2/1/12 8:56 am - kenilworth, NJ
VSG on 01/25/12
 not really sure maybe your retaining fluids because hospitals put up up with the ivs? 

katier825
on 2/1/12 9:07 am
Italiana is correct...the IV fluids can add several pounds. Don't worry, it's water weight, not fat. It will come down.
kahlana
on 2/1/12 9:30 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I just went through that myself a couple days ago. Gained 6 pounds in the hospital and today I down a total of 14 pounds from surgery. It's definitely just fluids and such from the surgery and it does go away in a few days.

My Blog My Facebook

Mike B.
on 2/1/12 9:57 am
Wait, give it a few days and it will begin to fly off of you.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Texdawg
on 2/1/12 10:06 am
VSG on 01/17/12
When I came home I had gained 12 lbs! Couldn't believe it but it was gone in a couple of days.
SouthernmostStar
on 2/1/12 11:20 am
VSG on 01/25/12
Don't panic!  This exact thing happened to me.  I lost 20 pounds on the pre-op liquid diet.  I was sleeved last Weds 1/25.  Got home on Fri 1/27 and I'd gained back the 20 pounds.  Naturally, I was devastated.

My sister-in-law, a nurse practitioner was with me and assured me that most likely it was from post-surgical swelling and water retention.  She also advised me to stay off of the scale for a week.

Of course I didn't but the weight has come off steadily and I'm back to where I was before surgery.  I've followed the clear liquids perfectly, including getting in plenty of hydration.  I expect a big drop off soon.

You'll be fine.  I promise!

Scientifically, you could not have gained back actual weight.  You aren't consuming enough calories.  Be patient!

Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/12 11:32 am
No worries! I weighed 243 the morning of my surgery. The next night I weighed 255. The extra weight was from the IV fluids. and was gone in a few days. 8 weeks later I'm down to 211. Like I said, no worries!
Soosy
on 2/1/12 12:36 pm - TX
NOBODY SHOULD EVER GET ON THE SCALE RIGHT AFTER THEIR SURGERY!

surely your surgeon warned you of this!

it will be coming off quickly before you know it! be patient, and stay on course!
~Susan
http://samesoosy.blogspot.com
VSG: September 13, 2011   HW:285    SW:253

BarefootLawyer
on 2/1/12 3:12 pm
VSG on 01/30/12
 We had surgery the same day!  I have no idea what I weight.  I forgot to weight the day of the surgery and not that I am home, I don't want to do to what happened to you.  Lots of people complain of weight gain du to water and swelling.  Give it time.  Drink your water!  I have always notices on past diets when I stall, it typically is about the water.  You have to drink more to flush stuff out.  Tmi, it is that time of the month, so I am just going to wait to weight at my follow-up feb. 8th.  Hang in there!  We will be on the loser's bench soon!
HW: 307.2. SW:   GW: 190