Net calories vs. calories consumed

Louise1970
on 2/1/12 8:38 pm - new haven, CT
Ok, I have fought and fought not to post a whine about my stall. I kept telling myself just stick to the program it will catch up to you etc etc etc. BUT ...... WAAAAAAAAHHHH! . I have logged religiously, the good, the bad, the ugly, exercised a minimum of 45 minutes 5 days a week and stayed at about 750 average calories a day and the most 1050 once. Water consumption is a little under goal but at least 6 glasses a day. 
     I have not lost an ounce in 3 weeks keep fluctuating in the same 5 pound range. I am at a loss. I lost 75 lbs prior to surgery in 7 months doing what I am doing now but eating about 1400 calories a day. The first month after surgery I lost 31 lbs. so I feel a little lame to complain but it's frustrating as hell to work this hard and not see results. 
     The only thing I can figure is maybe not enough calories? Myfitnesspal. com does this thing where it subtracts calories burned during exercise from your daily intake, my question is: Should I be eating to compensate for calories burned to total my goal of 700 a day? because if that is the case my average net calories are about 450....thoughts? suggestions? ideas? help? Thanks for listening to my rant I just kept thinking if I kept my mouth shut and kept up the hard work something would give but when I saw the scale this morning i wanted to scream!!! LOL

HW:367(5/11)  SW:291(12/11) GW:160     
Month 1: -31 lbs. 

Louise1970
on 2/1/12 9:01 pm - new haven, CT
 I should also add, my protein is around 75-80 grams a day and carbs are under 40 on average.

HW:367(5/11)  SW:291(12/11) GW:160     
Month 1: -31 lbs. 

smbergie200
on 2/1/12 9:20 pm - Naples, FL
Keep on doing what your doing. It will come off I promise. Maybe step away from the scale for a couple of weeks to reduce some of that frustration. In my opinion Net vs calories consumed doesn't really matter. You are basically living off your fat so thats where the bodies extra needed calories come from. Cheer up - your a sleeve rockstar!

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Carmelita
on 2/1/12 9:39 pm, edited 2/1/12 10:20 pm - Four Corners, NM
ALAN J.
on 2/1/12 11:27 pm

I am only one day behind you on surgery dates and I am so glad you asked this question.  I have done the same thing, since surgery day I have lost just less than 46 pounds, and in the past 3 weeks I keep going up 1-2 pounds and going back down the same about.  VERY FRUSTRAITING!  I have my 2 month follow up with my surgeon on the 13th and I was really hoping to be at least at the 50 pound lost mark.

I think the only thing that I am not doing that Carmelita suggested is the water intake.  I will give that a shot and try to drink 100 ounces of water/tea per day.

Highest WGT-295, Surgery WGT-295, Goal WGT-215 - 80LB LOST in 8 months!

gamom135
on 2/1/12 11:33 pm - Middle GA, GA
Only speaking from own experience...if I don't get in at least 8 glasses of water a day, I don't lose.  It doesn't matter what else I do.  I didn't lose much weight at all the first month, but it started coming off when I could drink all the fluids.  Good luck!
happiegirl
on 2/2/12 12:10 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12

This happened to me too...I haven't had surgery yet but I'm at about 1000-1500 calories a day.  I wasn't losing for two months.  I really think I over indulged for the holidays...and that's why no loss but it seemed like I should have been losing according to my calories.  Anyway I got a body media arm band, started using mango extract, and started a game called dance central 2.  I've lost 8 pounds in the last week.  Another thing to consider is food allergies according to Dr. OZ.  Eliminate gluten, diary, soy, and corn for a week than start adding them back.  If you notice anything strange like bloating...you probably have an allergy. Artificial sweeteners can also keep you from losing...try stevia or xilotol.  Both are great I use stevia.  Just keep going you will get over it!

MyOwnSunshine
on 2/2/12 2:30 am
Up your calories by 100 to 250, especially on the days you exercise.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
ruggie
on 2/2/12 5:03 am - Sacramento, CA
Stalls are really tough on our mental outlook.  It makes us look around and want to change stuff.  "Fix" what's wrong.  Resist it.  Stick to your plan and you'll break though.  Stay on 700ish calories, maybe bump it up a little (A LITTLE) on the days you exercise, but don't double it to 1,400... most formerly obese patients metabolisms have changed, and you're probably not going to be able to reach goal at 1400 a day.

One thing you might undercount though is water - getting enough water is surprisingly important for weight loss, and very much more so on the days you exercise.  You should get your eight glasses (two liters) a day on regular days, and kick it to three liters on the days you exercise.

Stick in there and good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

tripmom02
on 2/2/12 5:27 am - NJ
 I was struggling with this, I did up my net calories to at least 550 on days that I exercise and that means I DO have to eat back some of my exercise calories, but if I don't get at least that many net I totally stall out. Try it for a few days and see what happens, and try to get in more protein, it will help.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 73 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 273 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views