A different hair loss question

Kya72
on 2/17/12 4:33 am - WI
 So.. since Im still waiting for the approval.. I've been obsessing about the hair loss thing.   The past few years I have grown my hair out.. its now down past the middle of my back... My hair hasn't been this long in over 20 years.. anyway... I do loose hair on a daily basis.. and was thinking ahead to more hair loss... hair everywhere..yuck...

I don't think my hair is long enough for Locks of Love.. cause I don't want to go that short...but do you think getting a really good hair cut.. like 4 to 5 inches cut off now before I even start the preop diet would be healthier persay.. then waiting.... I don't know if this is true.. but it seems you loose less hair when its shorter..

Are there any hairdressers out there that know about stuff  like this?  
debgwoody
on 2/17/12 4:43 am
I don't think it will matter , it falls out from nothing we do to it , just part of the process. YOU may be one of the lucky ones that never experience any hairloss. I know mine looked much better short but I waited to see , and of course I did loose hair , it's better everyday now and I have sprouts everywhere ,after I cut it , it continued to fall out for a few months. It is what it is , good luck , don't fret , you can't change what will or won't happen. Here's hoping it just doesn't happen to you !! 

Life isn't about the breaths we take but the moment's that take our breath away!!  
vacationlover
on 2/17/12 4:53 am
Mine looked better a little shorter too...  I was letting mine grow past my shoulders a bit, and it started to look scraggely.  I got it cut just above my shoulders, and it looked better.  At 10 months, it's starting to fill back in nicely, so I'm going to let it grow again :)

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

denise277
on 2/17/12 4:57 am - carteret, NJ
Well from my point you will loose it anyway i cut my hair short  about to my neck and i am 7 months pre op and i am still loosing i have tryed everything and nothing works .
Ms Shell
on 2/17/12 6:48 am - Hawthorne, CA
You don't lose LESS hair (from the folicles) it just seems like less because it's not as long.  You never know about hair and locks though because they use shorter hair I believe under 5+inches as filler.

I know a few friends who were mortified when their LONG hair was coming out.  The friends I know that cut their hair were bothered but not as much.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

lanunes
on 2/17/12 7:26 am - CA
Your hair falling out has nothing to do with the length. It appears like more when it is long because the strand is longer. My hair is to my mid back maybe a bit shorter and when mine was falling out it was hand fulls daily. My hair dresser assured me it appeared like more then it was because it was so long. I never cut my hair shorter cause I like it long and now that the shedding has stopped I am so glad I didn't . Nothing helps this process but time.
      Leslie Nunes              
kahlana
on 2/17/12 8:20 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
My nut told me (much to my disappointment I might add) that mainly people who lose their hair during the process have fine/thin hair or are naturally blonde. I don't know how true that is because frankly I haven't taken a poll to discover what color or thickness of hair people are when they lose their hair you know? But from what she said i would assume that means that I am not going to lose my hair because its thick, naturally curly and normally brown. (I am however still going to wear my wig and extensions and if i can get away with it shave my head and start over )

My Blog My Facebook

Hislady
on 2/17/12 11:33 am - Vancouver, WA
I'd wait and see if you even need to do it. I've had like 15 surgeries in the last few years and (knock wood) I've never lost any hair. I have medium length, thinish hair, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'd hate for you to cut it if you don't really want to, when you may not have to.
cece58
on 2/17/12 11:41 am - CA
 I had chemotherapy years ago and lost my hair. It is a different kind of hair loss. At that time they told me to cut my hair short to help with the hair loss because rapid hair loss like that actually hurts and within a week or so it was all gone. Hair loss after the surgery was not as dramatic although I did lose a LOT of hair. It wouldn't have mattered if it were long or short. It was a slower process and it didn't all fall out. Try to get a lot of protein in and take vitamins and maybe you will be lucky and not lose much. You can always get a short haircut if need be. Hope this helps. 
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

ib40
on 2/17/12 12:05 pm
Well, my hair is fine AND naturally blond AND long and coming it out in what seems like handfuls. I am 5 months out and hoping it will slow down soon. Although my hair is fine, I have a lot of it. Or at least I USED to have a lot. It is looking pretty scraggly now and I'm seriously considering cutting it.

I lost hair post-pregnancy and I remember freaking out about it when it happened. This seems to be worse. This is the first time I remember so much of my hair in the lint catcher of my dryer. My long stray strands are EVERYWHERE! I had a pedicure today and I noticed the manicurist pulling long strands off of my feet!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views