Sorta depressed... need to pull outta my funk

Ms. Poker Face
on 3/2/12 9:40 am
I'm feeling not so cheery about my journey the last few days.  The scale thing I posted about this morning has me down, too.  I hopped on a scale at work today and while it wasn't as crazy as the one at home, it shows I'm up.  I mean, I traveled 3 days this week and that always makes eating under 800 calories more challenging, but I certainly didn't eat thousands of calories more than normal, so the gain isn't explained.  I was already in a stall (pretty normal for me), but the stall combined with what looks like a gain... that my home scale wasn't showing until today... just bummed, I guess.

I don't have many pounds to go, so I should be super happy!  But just really feeling down tonight.  Needed to vent.  

I'm doing more work travel for the next 2 weeks, so it's not going to get easier anytime soon.  I guess I just need to stay extra dedicated right now.  Lots of water, protein only, eat under sleeve capacity, move more.

Sometimes this stuff is second nature to me now... and sometimes it's not.  Wish I could flip a switch... or hit the 'easy button.'  Not so with me and weight.

OK, end rant.  Thanks for listening.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

trayb17
on 3/2/12 10:05 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Sorry you are feeling down. I am sure traveling and staying on plan can be difficult at times, especially when you have no idea what the food choices might be. Hopefully the scale is off and you haven't really gained anything! Bottom line, you got this...I can tell based on the great advice you always give us newbies!!
LISA C.
on 3/2/12 10:07 am, edited 3/2/12 10:08 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
Sorry you're feeling a bit down.  I think it's natural to feel that way; some weeks are going to be easier than others.  I won't offer you any cliches (although I truly believe in the power of the mantra "this too shall pass");  but just wanted to you to know that your weight loss has been a tremendous achievement due to your hard work. 

I also wanted to say thanks for all your informative posts.  As a newbie,I've learned a lot from you.

Hold your head high and tomorrow is a new day! 
frisco
on 3/2/12 10:10 am

I always pick up a few pounds traveling......not so much car traveling....

I call it airplane weight....seems I pick up a few and it takes about 3 days of baseline eating to get stabilize again.

Also, travel/eating tends to have more sodium even if your staying within your calories....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/12 10:30 am
If I take a short flight (one or two hours max) I'm fine. If I take a coast to coast, I'm screwed. I swell up like a water balloon and gain about 4 or 5 pounds and it takes days and days to go away. If I travel to a humid climate I won't lose the extra water until I get back home. It really sucks and I completely sympathize with you.

Also, like Frisco said, travel eating is always far higher in sodium than when we stay at home and cook clean, healthy food for ourselves.

I know it sucks right now, but  remember, this too shall pass.
Could_It_Be
on 3/2/12 10:44 am
 Hang in there, sister!

VSG on 6/22/11
SouthernmostStar
on 3/2/12 11:16 am
VSG on 01/25/12
I'm with those who think that the weight gain is because of the travel.  Whether a car ride or a plane ride, you can naturally retain more fluid.   The good thing is that you know the math doesn't add up so you can be confident the gain will soon go away and you'll be back on track.

I think it's okay to have a down night every once in a while.  You're only human.

Hang in there!

Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/12 11:51 am
I am sorry you are feeling down, but I can understand.  It's really hard to get through the times when the scale is not moving or worse, moving in the wrong direction.  You did not gain fat during your travels, you most likely gained water due to sodium consumption.  I know that this is a small conciliation, but it is what it is.  You are also toward the end of your losing phase, which means these are the hardest pounds to lose.  I had to really buckle down to get the last 10-20 lbs. off.  I found that I needed to double down on watching calories, proteins, carbs and sodium.  I had to watch everything like a hawk.  I also needed to give up soft protein, bars and milk proteins (more or less) for the duration.  My food consisted mostly of lean protein and low carb veggies.  Not much fun, but it was only temporary.  I wish I could give you a hug, but I can tell you that this will pass and you will get there soon.
Happy966
on 3/2/12 11:58 am

Aw Silly_Sweet!  I feel ya!  Travel just *kills* me.  I know you're going to be fine!! 

(((Hugs)))

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Ms. Poker Face
on 3/2/12 8:44 pm
Thanks everybody.  I feel better this morning, although the scale is not showing much improvement.  Oh well, it HAS to be water retention from high sodium restaurant foods.  There's simply no other explanation.  Although my scale being funky (varied up to 10 pounds in the same weigh in) lately may have given me some falsely low readings.  So combine those two and it's a perfect storm.  Buying a new scale battery today and going to really do well on intake!

Thanks for the support!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views