any way to get foamless protein shakes?

grisaille
on 3/10/12 8:38 am - NC
Every protein shake I try is foamy.  The ones in the bottle all say to shake well and of course, the powders are by their very nature stirred or shaken.  Without using a straw, this results in a protein shake mustache which I hate.

Anyone have any suggestions?

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
imchatti
on 3/10/12 8:53 am - NJ
i blend mine with ice .... and no foam ......
BAShinn
on 3/10/12 8:54 am - AR
VSG on 11/17/07 with
 Pulse the blender 

Bridget    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad.  An optimist is a man who hopes they are.  ~Chauncey Mitchell Depew
SW: 275   
CW: 225   GW: 150

Total lost: 50 lbs.

fit2lose
on 3/10/12 8:55 am - MN
VSG on 05/07/12
I find using a milk frother helps out greatly.  Instead of using it towards the surface like the instructions say, use it towards the bottom.  It will create a whirlpool effect and suck down the powder to get mixed in.  I get very little foam from this.  If you have an Ikea store near you they typically have them on hand for $3.  Otherwise target/walmart/amazon sell them for around $20.  Comparing to a friend's blender ball, the frother works better with thicker liquids like milk once you mix in your powder (depending on the type of powder of course).
jothenurseRN
on 3/10/12 9:22 am - MN
I wonder if making the shake ahead of time and then sit open container/glass  in the fridge and let the bubbles go flat , for an hour or so, like pop would help?

grisaille
on 3/10/12 10:01 am - NC
I had heard the shakes were only good for so long after they are mixed - is that an old wives tale?

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
jothenurseRN
on 3/11/12 12:38 am - MN
You would probably want to check the packaging for each product brand., but I don't know why this should have any effect on the quality, on less like anything you let it sit out, get warm. I know that foods that are vitamin enriched can loss some of their potency over time but probably not enoguh to worry about.
Kevin H.
on 3/10/12 10:19 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I think if you put it in the fridge for an hour or so it will make it just liquid with no foam.  Give that a try.

bc5184
on 3/10/12 11:21 am
 Try the Chike brand protein mix.  Strawberry is my favorite.  Also if you mix one scoop chocolate and one scoop vanilla it tastes like a Wendys frosty.  I have not gotten any foam when mixing the chike shakes.  Also Smoothie King makes a protein Smoothie called Lean.  This is another good protein shake on the go and no foam.
Georgie Mayhem
on 3/10/12 11:28 am - New Zealand
Try the gnc shakers, make them with far less foam, blenders seem to make shakes quite foamy.
GNC shakers are a cup with a metal ball in it

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views