How do I answer when someone tells me " you took the easy way out"

Mrs.Nichole
on 3/29/12 2:21 am - OK
VSG on 03/20/12
 I could really use the feedback. My best friend who is also heavy said this to me yesterday. I just don't know what to say...
Bayougrl26
on 3/29/12 2:26 am
 This is why I have not made up my mind whether to tell anyone other than family and very close friends.  I'm sorry your friend is not more supportive.
happiegirl
on 3/29/12 2:27 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Since she's your bff...you say stop being a hater I'll help you get the surgery. lol that's what I'd tell my best friend.  You can have this surgery too...don't hate!

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

MizzEvil
on 3/29/12 2:30 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
She's probably jealous. If it were my best friend, family, and friends: I'd tell them that is their opinion and could keep it to themselves. I don't tell them how to run their lives. If they brought it up, I would refrain from talking to them. Everyone else: **** OFF 
Soon_to_be_skinny_S
tacie

on 3/29/12 2:33 am - MA
VSG on 04/17/12
Getting 80% of your stomach cut out of your body and eating like an infant for a year? Where's the "easy" part in that?

Debra P.
on 3/29/12 2:47 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 That's what I would say too !!

hwag5149
on 3/29/12 6:23 am, edited 3/29/12 6:23 am
Come on. The surgery was a breeze for most of us and a lot of us aren't even hungry. On top of that, when you're "eating like an infant," you're full after that infant amount of food. Those are the easiest parts of having the surgery! People without the surgery are having to greatly reduce their portion sizes and still feel like they are starving after they ate all their food. We've got it way easier with our baby stomachs.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

debk21
on 3/29/12 2:33 am - Mansfield, TX

I've had people say that to me and I just tell them "Walk a day in my shoes and see what you think then..."  As far as I'm concerned they can Kiss My Skinny Ass!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Pooch2
on 3/29/12 2:35 am
There have been so many awesome responses to this question on here.  Did you try the search button in the upper right side? 

Here is a link to one, I thought was particularly clever; http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4510599/quotOh-you-did nt-want-to-do-it-the-hard-wayquot/

And I thought this one had a bunch of awesome comments; http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4515596/Hubby-thinks-I -am-taking-the-easy-way-out/#37388542

If your best friend is in fact...your best friend will be there with you as YOU try and figure this out and finally make your decision.... Best to you...
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
SassyItalian
on 3/29/12 2:40 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
So...my initial reaction was tell the haters to F*CK OFF. But that isnt always realistic.

I have come across many, many, many haters on this journey. All who now have nothing to say because I am at a normal healthy weight and happy. So over time, they do shut up.

For now, you can say, I just need you to be my friend, you dont have to agreee,  this is my decision, "the easy way" does not involve tens of doctors visits, a month long liquid diet (ask that person to try a liquid diet for a day, they cant do it, trust me!), and risking your life. You can explain that the obese die much earlier and you want a full life, that the morbidly obese get diabetes, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure, among other things, and that you dont want those things. You can explain that this is your last option, you have tried everything else, and thats why your even approved.

I will tell you this, "friends" may not be your friends. I lost my best friend over this process, the person I was so close to, who I thought of as a sister, because once I lost weight I started getting the attention from guys when we went out and she just couldnt handle it. Hopefully, this wont happen to you but I just wanted to mention it..And the loss of the friendship sometimes people blame on you..saying, "you've changed"..F that!!!

Above all, TRUE FRIENDS ARE HAPPY FOR THE ONES THEY LOVE WHEN THEY IMPROVE THEMSELVES. If this person cannot be happy for you cutting your risk of early death, they are sick. Period. Next!!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Most Active