opinions on eating things off 'schedule'

ostydahl
on 4/7/12 3:17 am - West Haven, CT
VSG on 03/13/12
So my surgeon gave me a week to week break down of what foods to try each week ...this past week was fish....as of monday I can add chicken/turkey .... then the following  week beef/pork/ham ...how horrible is it if I eat ham today or tomorrow? I did have a little chicken yesterday and was fine with it. 

Do they do the week to week for a specific reason like not to harm your stomach or just what is easier to digest to the hardest?

Everyones Dr's seem to say something different. Mine gave me a specific list of what I can have week to week then after April 24th I can eat anything on the list. I have pictures of the list that the Dr gave me in my photos if you could take a peek at it and just let me know what your opinions are.

Thank you!!!

moonglo82
on 4/7/12 3:21 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Sounds like your dr is trying to let you introduce foods in the order they are most likely to be tolerated. Fish is generally the softest "dense" protein, and red meat is usually the hardest to get down, according to the papers from my surgeon.

I'm not going to tell you to disobey your doctor, but if you do, please be careful.

I understand your feelings though! Here I am on day 9 and still on clear liquids, and seeing posts from people who are on fulls pretty much from the time they get home from the hospital. Makes me want to throw something... haha!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/7/12 3:31 am
My opinion is that you should not advance early.  If you have a compelling reason, then check with him first.  We trust these surgeons to knock us out, cut out 85% of a major organ, and then we don't want to follow their plan?  I can see doing that on the conversative end by waiting longer than they suggest to advance, but advancing early is like playing with fire.  Why?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

ostydahl
on 4/7/12 3:46 am - West Haven, CT
VSG on 03/13/12
 Noted. Thank you! You are right ... I'll stick to plan :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/12 3:48 am
It will go by quick enough though it doesn't seem like it at the time.  My doctor is more anything goes.  Personally I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason to what is and isn't tolerated.  I don't tolerate eggs, ground pork, or some fish.  Chicken, beef, ham, and tuna are fine though.
rhearob
on 4/7/12 6:15 am - TN
 As you say, everyones Doctor has a slightly different plan.  I haven't heard of giving such a detailed breakdown, but it does make sense to introduce foods in a specific order that they may be tolerated better in.  My plan, for example, doesn't allow red meat or por****il I reach 75% of excess body weight lost. 

I would say stay with your doctors plan.  They usually have really good reasons for what they do based on their past experiences with their patients.  If you have specific concerns, address those with him.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013