Long Term Effects of WLS

louisamay
on 4/16/12 12:07 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
My husband's major concern (and now that I have a date, he's getting more reticent about the whole thing) is the really long term effect of WLS.  I know there isn't any data on the VSG because it hasn't been around long enough, but what about other WLS?  He wants to know what problems people have with them fifteen and twenty years down the road, especially as people get into their 70s and 80s after having one.

I have no idea where to look for this info.  Can anybody point me in the right direction?

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Could_It_Be
on 4/16/12 12:12 pm
 People have had gastrectomies for decades for cancers, tutors, etc. 

There are stats on that as well as the RNY long-term effects, on here as well as in google scholar.

VSG on 6/22/11
louisamay
on 4/16/12 12:14 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
Oh, thank you! 

Pura Vida
on 4/16/12 12:12 pm - Costa Rica
Tell your husband that one long term effect will be more sex!
louisamay
on 4/16/12 12:15 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
LOL!

That hasn't exactly been a problem!

hwag5149
on 4/16/12 12:18 pm, edited 4/16/12 12:18 pm
THe long term effect is LIVING until you're 80 or 90. Forget what slight issues you have when you get there. If you're overweight now, you're going to be even more overweight as you age and that means ONE THING... you'll die WAY before you turn 80.

Edit: Orrrr the complications of all the comorbidities would probably make you WANT to die. I know someone who is almost 60 and she has had multiple strokes, a quadruple bypass among other things. Her diabetes is beyond horrible. Her sister is about 50 and she has been on dialysis for 3 years now and needs kidneys since she didn't take care of her severe diabetes for 6 months and so her kidneys completely failed. Think about the fact that you are much less likely to deal with these types of issues at a smaller weight. IMO this is the safest surgery as far as long term complications and thats why I chose it. I didn't wan to trade fat for another huge issue. I'm pretty out of it so I don't know if this made sense.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

louisamay
on 4/16/12 12:27 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
Genetically, my concerns aren't quite as dire.  My parents both were overweight/obese and lived into their 80s with extreme health.  They did take meds for blood pressure, for cholesterol, but they were active, extremely active.  At 80, my dad was on  the roof raking leaves out of trees.

My grandmothers and one grandfather lived into their 80s, one of whom had been obese most of her life.  My other grandfather died in his 70s of lung cancer (smoker).

So my husband's concern is that instead of being a healthy functioning person like the rest of my family, I'll end up malnourished, osteoporisis, etc.  I don't think he's quite comprehended the real risk is gaining back, not ending up a toothpick!  OTOH, I probably don't wnat to stress that overmuch or he'll decide the whole thing is a waste of effort!
Kevin H.
on 4/16/12 1:32 pm, edited 4/16/12 1:49 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I don't think any of us had this surgery to have a worse life as we got older but a better one.  There is no malabsorpton with the VSG so the only way you would get malnourished is if you never took your vitamins everyday and just tried to live off of a few spoons of food that we can fit in our sleeve.  Skinny healthy people can get osteoporosis especially if they don't get enough calcium but that is why we have to take it after our surgery to prevent this.

The risk's come with NOT fixing the obesity .. not by remaining fat.  It's quite clear that risks for having just about every medical condition known to mankind go up the heavier you are so I'm not quite sure how your husband can use the words "healthy functioning person" along with being obese.  That sounds kinda like putting a square peg in a round hole, it just doesn't make any sense.  
Before surgery I was not anywhere close to being healthy or functioning at 390 lbs at age 43 let alone age 80 and I certainly wouldn't be in any better shape at age 80 at that weight, if I would even live that long.  Unfortunately, just because our parents live to be a certain age and may have been overweight doesn't guarantee that our experience will be the same.  My cousin had a stroke at age 44 and has been in a nursing home for the last 12 years.  Her parents never had any strokes.  To remain fat because our parents did OK like that is like playing Russian roulette.  

Does he seem to not want you to have this surgery?  There can be some problems with husbands getting jealous and worried about their wives having this done and looking so much better one day. Usually resulting from their own insecurities,  they don't want to see their wife thin and attractive thinking that they will leave them after they loose their weight.

Emily_Rose
on 4/16/12 1:48 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Just to let you know  You will be able to eat more at 6 months and a year out.  I do not take multi vitamins and never did for long.  I have bloodwork done regularly (other health issues) and the only take D since all my other levels are where they should be.  with the sleeve you can get your nutrients in without supplements
Kevin H.
on 4/16/12 1:59 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Ahh well thats cool I guess .. about your blood work anyway.  I used to take vitamins before surgery so I have no problems taking them afterwards just to make sure I'm getting what I should and I'm turning 44 soon so vitamins as you get older isnt a bad idea anyway.  I'm no young buck anymore LOL.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 295 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views