4 Days Post Op - Mind Games

LunaChic
on 4/17/12 4:54 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
So I'm 4-days post op, trying to master the clear phase.  Doc tells me I will do clear liquids for two weeks.  I feel like this is torture.  I'm already sick of sweet stuff and chicken/beef broth wants to make me gag.  I'm sick of it 4 days in... how am I going to last two weeks???

I'm finding my sense of smell is super-heightened, even smelling what the neighbors are cooking by the wind that blows into my windows.  My mom and dad are staying with me to help me out and my mom is obviously cooking up delicious food for my dad.  Dad keeps forgetting and offering me some of his food.

I seriously think my mind is playing tricks on me smelling food that isn't there sometimes.  I often wake up in the morning and think, I feel like some eggs for breakfast.  Then it dawns on me that I have watered down cranberry juice sitting in the fridge for me. Or the thought would come to my mind that I am hungry and should head to the kitchen to find a snack.

I've been unnecesarily short-tempered with my mom and dad.  Sometimes I lash out when they even slightly annoy me.  Trying to hone that in and keep my mouth shut because they are here to help me and they have been a godsend to me during this recovery period.

I think my brain is confusing the surgery pain in my stomach for hunger pain.  The pain I've been feeling these last couple days is very similar to that hole in your stomach you feel when you haven't eaten for a very long time.  That uncomfortable, uneasy, ache and pain in your stomach.  I keep telling myself its not hunger.  It can't be -- or can it???

Anyways, I am writing this for any suggestions anyone may have.  I'm sure others may have felt the same way and found ways around it.  Maybe suggestions on other clear liquids I haven't tried that might bring a new flavor.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

MyFitnessPal:  MissLunaChic      (Looking for friends - feel free to add me!)

Mylife_1973
on 4/17/12 4:58 am
VSG on 04/11/12
 I have been having the same problem with hunger. I have been advised to keep drinking but that isn't helping. I don't understand how liquids for 2 weeks can be healthy at all..
HW-267  SW-258.  CW- 204 GW-145

VSG scheduled 11 April 2012    
LunaChic
on 4/17/12 5:06 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
Does it help to know that you are not alone?  You had your sleeve done one day before mine.  Hope you are doing well!

I really don't have much to complain about -- this weird hunger-ish feeling coupled with being sick of clear fluids is the worst part for me at this point.

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

Could_It_Be
on 4/17/12 5:05 am
 {{hugs}}

No real advice - well other than wondering what the HECK your parents are thinking?!?!- but it DOES get better. SO MUCH BETTER!

Just remember you had major surgery, things are going to be wonky for a while, emotions will be high. Just follow your doctor's plan, get plenty of liquids and try and move a little.

I promise, soon, you'll be so happy you took the plunge!!

VSG on 6/22/11
LunaChic
on 4/17/12 5:14 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
Thanks a lot for the encouragement.

I've been moving around pretty well, and even went for a mani/pedi yesterday (had my aunt drive).

My mom feels super guilty for having all this food around me for dad and all the family that comes to visit.  She says she wishes she could go without eating and be on clear liquids along with me.  I told her that I need to get used to being around food and being able to resist it anyway.  I have to start somewhere and I'm not going to deprive everyone of food just because I can't eat right now.

Just trying to keep things in prespective and remind myself that this will eventually be over and I will eventually be able to eat real food.  Would be nice to finally tackle all these mind games though!  :)

Thanks again for the encouragement...  it kinda helps to know others have gone through the same and have triumphed over it.  :)

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

Could_It_Be
on 4/17/12 5:16 am
 You make a great point about being around food and this being our choice and all that. You are right, and I found myself making my family eat cause everyone was afraid to eat around me. Good point!

Still- early on, it's hard, I remember!!

Sounds like you have a great support system and are looking at this in a good way!

You got this, you don't need my advice 

VSG on 6/22/11
Snowberry
on 4/17/12 5:14 am
VSG on 04/10/12
Two weeks of clear liquids?  Yikes, I'd be freaking out too.  I was told two DAYS of clear liquids. Right now I'm on full liquids and I am already losing patience with them.  I may never eat soup again after this is over.

I feel you on the parents.  My family ordered pizza on Saturday and it was so, so hard.  It smelled so good.  I just wanted one bite, but I knew that wasn't possible.  Food hasn't bothered me as much since I went to full liquids.  Maybe it's because I now have protein drinks, so I'm not totally starving myself.  Food still looks and smells good, but it isn't driving me insane like it did on clear liquids.

Has your doctor prescribed a PPI?  I know I missed mine yesterday and I definitely felt hungrier. I took mine this morning and now I'm better today.  It's possible it may be gas that is making you feel even hungrier than you are.

LunaChic
on 4/17/12 5:20 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
Whats a PPI?

I sometimes think it is gas, but this feeling in my stomach is constant and doesn't go away.

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

Snowberry
on 4/17/12 5:26 am
VSG on 04/10/12
PPIs are proton pump inhibitors.  They are the medications used to decrease stomach acid.  I take Prilosec, but there are others like Nexium and Protonix.  I find I feel hungrier if I forget to take mine.  I have no idea why that might be though!

LunaChic
on 4/17/12 5:43 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
The doc told me not to take anything.  I have been having some heartburn and reflux.  I think I will tell the doc when i go for my 1 week follow-up next Monday.  I'm also going to beg to be put on full liquids to get some energy... and SANITY.   LOL

And by the way, pizza is one of my favorite foods.  Before surgery I could eat pizza for breakfast, lunch, dinner, midnight, 3am, cold, hot -- any old way.  I would have gone out for a walk.  LOL

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

Most Active