One Week of Pre-Op Diet

louisamay
on 4/18/12 1:52 am
VSG on 04/27/12
And I'm down ten pounds.  Holy cow.

This surprises me, but in a way it doesn't.  I have always lost a lot of weight my first week of dieting, although this may be a bit more than before.

When I saw that my doc didn't have me go full-liquid I was a bit uneasy and asked for feedback here and was reassured that docs have many different pre-op diets and just go with it. 

It has been 5 protein drinks or protein bars.  They listed Slim Fast but I got permission to try different ones. 

AND (this has been my salvation) 1 real meal a day.  5 ounces of meat and 2 cups of non-starchy veg.

The first two or three days were really hard.  I felt nauseated from all the sweet stuff.  I learned to eat a Balance Bar (peanut butter is my favorite) with hot green tea for breakfast and I'd be okay.  The protein drinks didn't hold me, and if I drank them first, by the time I tried a bar, I was just sick of sweet.  I mean, sick to the stomach.  If I'd been on drinks only I'm not sure how I'd handle it.

Still looking for the right protein drink, one without a horrible aftertaste and not to sicky-sweet.

We did have a "last supper" before I began this--steak, potatoes, caesar salad and rolls.  And since I've been doing this, we've cooked steaks on the grill twice, and I grilled salmon and ate it cold on caesar salad twice.  LOL  (Very little dressing on the salad.  I don't do artificial so it was the real thing, but I counted it on my daily log.)

So ten pounds down... and my surgery is April 27.  I'm just waiting for my husband to say, "Hey, you don't need that surgery, look at you!"

But I have a LOOK ready for him if he does.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

bigtigger1010
on 4/18/12 3:31 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
The absolute best success i've had thus far with protein drink is onw of the chocolate powders (iso-100, sytrax choc truffle, or american whey) and a tbsp of PB2... the choc alone was tolerable and i have other syntrax, fruity ones that i drink in the afternoon... but my morning routine is choc/PB and takes like drinking a Resces cup... the PB2 really takes the edge off the sweetness and tiny after taste!

Good luck!

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

louisamay
on 4/18/12 10:23 am
VSG on 04/27/12
That sounds like something I need to try since I love Reese's. Thank you!

bigtigger1010
on 4/18/12 9:44 pm - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
no problem! anything we can do to make this easier for each other :-)

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

salamander829
on 4/18/12 10:15 am - MD
 Congratulations!  I'm on day 3 of 5 shakes/one lean&green meal/day and it is tough!  I was a little dizzy and nauseous but I had a salad at lunchtime instead of waiting until after work to have it all at dinner.  I think that will work.  I haven't weighed myself since I'm only on day 3.  I'll see what it is this Sunday.  Keep up the good work.  My surgery is April 30th.

louisamay
on 4/18/12 10:24 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Having a bar instead of a shake at breakfast changed my ickiness.  That really helped.  I think starting the day with a shake was more than I could take, because I just kept adding them on and, ick.

Which shakes are you drinking?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 115 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 341 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 393 views