Can sleevers ever eat fruit again?

Ohiogirl
on 4/20/12 5:24 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Researching - and wondering if berries and melons are ever part of a sleever's diet again.  When I look at the "what is everyone eating today" posts - I never see any fruit mentioned.  I realize fruit = carbs but don't sleevers need a few carbs??  
emelar
on 4/20/12 5:27 am - TX
Sure, you can eat fruit.  You just have to fit it into your plan.  Early out, there's little room for anything but protein.  But everything else gets slowly added back in.

I've never been a big fruit eater, but I'll sometimes throw some berries or a banana into my yogurt.  Or eat a few pieces of melon, or strawberries, or grapes if they're around.
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/12 5:30 am
My diet allows for berries but not much else.  All other fruit is just too high in carbs for my program.  In maintenance, I can eat more fruit, but I find that I get more "bang for the buck" when I eat vegetables.  If I am craving fruit, I incorporate some into my diet without an issue, but it is not a staple food for me.  I do regularly eat berries and an occasional melon.

There are other food plans that incorporate fruit and don't limit carbs at all.  Different strokes for different folks. 
Sugan Spice
on 4/20/12 5:35 am - Gatineau, Canada
Revision on 02/21/12
I do!!!! :)

I like to cut up a few fresh berries to put in my greek yogurt!!! I dont want ALL my vitamins to come from a pill! lol! and some times I have a few pieces of banana as a sweet snack at work. :)

Marabell
on 4/20/12 5:37 am
VSG on 06/07/12
this is an excellent product...I add to vanilla or unsweetened protein shake....water with stevia too..

https://www.shopabouttime.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode =sf0657

Ms Shell
on 4/20/12 5:48 am - Hawthorne, CA
Ultimately it's YOUR body and YOUR plan.  In order for me to lose weight I have to keep my carbs low.  Maintenance is a little MORE loose but all in all I have to limit for LIFE LONG success.

Your "need" of carbs is a debate that can be swayed BOTH ways depending on who you talk to, which is why it's not about someone's elses plan but YOUR plan because it's your body that will ultimately TELL you loud and clear (if you listen) to what you need and don't need.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

califsleevin
on 4/20/12 11:02 am - CA
That's quite right; the carb debate is basically about diet fashion and has no bearing on the VSG. Given that many have gotten to the point of needing WLS by way of carb overload then it's quite reasonable that many need to be extra vigilent on carbs. A couple decades ago fat was the major overload in out diets until the low fat diet fad led us toward the more recent carb overloading and low carb end of the diet fad cycle. The cycle will repeat itself, and the VSG will work just as well for those who will be OD'ing on fats.

I have been having small amounts of fruit, primarily berries mixed into my yogurt, along with some avocado and tomato (is it a fruit, is it a veg - you decide!) in salads, since the first month and am now having larger amounts while balancing out the diet in maintenance.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

frisco
on 4/20/12 11:07 am

Great explanation !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MelissaMommyto5
on 4/20/12 5:56 am, edited 4/20/12 5:56 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I'm kind of a rebel, but I do.  I realized that my diet had to do 180-turn around to get healthy, but I believe God intended for us to eat fruit & veggies.  He didn't intend for us to eat the processed fast food junk that our society lives on & helped us balloon to our largest shells.  I will be incorporating fruits into my life forever! That said, I don't eat them with every meal, but almost daily.

AmberK
on 4/20/12 6:03 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 I agree and I like what you said about God. Also, I believe that no one became obese from eating too many fruits! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views