Can we EVER use STRAWS again

gettinghealthy12
on 4/25/12 3:22 pm
VSG on 04/11/12
Can we ever use straws again, How long do we have to wait?  I really miss drinking  my Iced Coffee from a straw, but I tried and got hiccups,does that change eventually ??
Gettinghealthy12    
alwayz_smilin2587
on 4/25/12 3:33 pm - MO
VSG on 04/16/12
 The program I went through told me to avoid them forever...Because you suck in air and that can stretch the stomach....along with chewing gum. 
gettinghealthy12
on 4/25/12 3:39 pm
VSG on 04/11/12
Now that you say that, I think I may have heard that as well, I guess I was trying to block that out,  I knew about the sucking in air, but wasn't sure if it would always be an issue.  THANKS !
Gettinghealthy12    
Shagdoll
on 4/25/12 3:39 pm
I use a straw for my morning protein shake but I waited a few months after surgery before I tried it. I never got the hiccups though.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

gettinghealthy12
on 4/25/12 3:46 pm
VSG on 04/11/12

GOOD  to know,  I may try again in a few weeks, I may have sipped it too fast !!  THX !-Alyssa

Gettinghealthy12    
theshrinkingmimi
on 4/25/12 4:33 pm
I forgot all about the straw rule. I didn't use it until about 8 months or so. I still rarely use it.  However, I sometimes at restaurants just use it without thinking. Never had a hiccup from it. I've heard plenty of people on OH say that they use straws. Maybe it doesn't matter when you are farther out.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Pooch2
on 4/25/12 4:41 pm
I'm sorry but this issue seems really childish to me and I was taught this too.  If you can figure out how to not swallow the air in your mouth, you can use a straw, all you want.   OK here we go, swallowing 101...  So first you suck in the liquid, then REMOVE the straw from your mouth, then check to see if there is air in your mouth, if so, you force that air, out thru your nose before you swallow the liquid, instead of sucking in the liquid and air thru thru the straw and then just forcing it all down your throat togeather....its not rocket science.... Ok do we have this, now? 
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
Marabell
on 4/26/12 12:31 am
VSG on 06/07/12
where IS that damn LIKE button?!?

hahahahaha

gotta love that whole zero tolerance mentality

Celie
on 4/25/12 4:55 pm - CA
 I did notice in my hospital room service, the menu always stated protein shake NO STRAW.  However, the nurses brought me straws for my water and I've been using them since I got home.  I've also been chewing gum daily.  I'm two weeks post op now. Now you've got me wondering if I missed that rule and should be checking with my doc LOL. 

I do get hiccups quite frequently, but I think that is because I forget and drink too fast. 

comeundone
on 4/25/12 5:53 pm - OH
 I did not use a straw at first BUT at twelve days out I saw a post by a woman who was talking about protein shakes and she mentioned a straw ( We were sleeved the same Day) that day I put a straw in my shake and ever day since I use them that was 5 months ago. I love my straws and don't think I could still drink protein shakes without them.
HW 289  SW 242

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views