How did you get through the post-op clear liquid phase?

Snow_White_39
on 5/7/12 11:02 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 04/30/12
I am now 7 days post op after having the VSG with Dr. Aceves in Mexico and this 10-day clear liquid phase is killing me. I am not a lover of broths (but I have to say the Unjury Chicken Soup is actually not bad).... and I don't really like Jello and am choking it back because I have to. This is sooo hard !!! I am doing lots of water, apple juice, chamomile tea but it's just not fulfilling in any way and the hunger pains are driving me nuts.

Any tips or suggestions?

Right now I am dreaming about a few days from now when I can actually have a protein shake!

valentinoAB
on 5/7/12 11:39 am
 Hang in there only 3 days left!!!!

Catrina T.
on 5/7/12 11:42 am
VSG on 05/01/12
Wow that is a long clear liquid phase. Though I haven't been on this forum long, maybe it is standard. Mine was just while I was in the hospital. Full liquids for 2 weeks once home. And even that is driving me nuts, and I am only 6 days post op. I was just researching trying to find more options for liquids, the shakes are getting hard to tolerate. I knew it would be a problem going into this, I am just not a sweets person. But figure I can suck it up until I can have more options. But even on full liquids my hunger pains are so bad!

Good luck to you. Maybe someone with experience of having clear liquids for that long can help ya out. Just commiserating the hunger pains with ya..:(
Hotsauce
on 5/7/12 12:18 pm
I agree, that is a long phase of clear liquids.  I just came off on Sunday after 7 days.  I have to say I survived on water, jello and gatorade.  Now I move on to "Full Liquids" for two weeks and this seems harder than last week.  Best of luck to you!!
pinkpeonies
on 5/7/12 12:36 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
Grin and bear it? It does seem like a long time but if that's what your doc ordered, then you need to do what he says. This is your time for healing and helping your new stomach adjust to life again. It may seem like each hour lasts forever, but try to be patient, and please be compliant--for your own sake. The time WILL go quickly and you'll get to the next stage.

Congratulations on getting sleeved! (It DOES get better.)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

moonglo82
on 5/7/12 12:43 pm, edited 5/7/12 12:44 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Oh, how I resented Aceves and his long ass post op phases! Just remember that he has to be ultra conservative with how he allows people to progress, because he knows that most of his patients can't come rushing in to see him in an emergency, since he's in Mexico and all.

You'll be on full liquid before you know it. You're almost there now!

Have you tried sugar free popsicles? I know they at least let me feel like I was chewing something, with helped with the head hunger

Also: be sure you are taking the antacid he gives us... sometimes acid can feel like hunger.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Jenijeni
on 5/7/12 1:23 pm
Sugar free popsicles and Soni**** you can buy it in bags at the drive thru... sweetened with Mio or Crystal Lite... at least it's something solid-ish. Good luck!!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

lanunes
on 5/7/12 9:51 pm - CA
Can you go to a nutrition store and purchase protein drinks that are juice?Having the protein will help with your energy level and give your body some nutrients. They make proein drinks in juice and it is clear. They don't taste bad either. My surgeons office sells them but by the time you get them you will be off clear liquids. I did use them a lot when just on protein shakes because the shakes get to be too sweet after a bit and the juice is a nice change.
      Leslie Nunes              
Snow_White_39
on 5/8/12 2:06 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 04/30/12
Yeah, I was looking before surgery for something like Isopure and just can't find anything like it in my city Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I considered ordering online but the Canadian website I found it on was sold out. I even had a hard time finding clear protein powders here in the city. I went to Popeye's and a few other stores and basically got laughed at for wanting a protein powder that would be clear-ish when mixed with water. I did find one at GNC and it does the trick of keeping my protein up at this time (even though it tastes like mango orange DIRT).

Argh... 2 more days after today!

VeronicaJ5
on 5/7/12 10:15 pm - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
I slept alot lol mine was 14 days clear liquids after, I hate jello so I never ate it so about day 7 I was just missing chewing!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 62 views