1st Psych Eval - What to expect?

Faith2012
on 6/13/12 10:38 am - MN
Hi Everyone!

So, I have my first psych evaluation scheduled in 2 weeks. I have to have a series of 4 appointments. What should I expect from these?

Thanks in advance for the info and tips!

~Karrie 
NUJoyce
on 6/13/12 11:30 am - Hayward, CA
Hi:

I only had one appointment.   She asked questions like how I got to the point I was at with my weight.   She asked about my family support and why I am doing it.   

Good luck!

Missey J.
on 6/13/12 11:34 am - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12
Mine was easy....afew questions and he said that was it. Lasted 15 mins and i was out of there.

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
morgans
on 6/13/12 11:45 am
VSG on 06/18/12
Mine was one session. First a pretty long test - personality test, intelligence test, and a test about your relationship with food. Then a short "session" while we went over the results and what they meant for my journey.

Since I've spent time in OA and years in and out of therapy, psychologically I was deemed to have a pretty good chance of success. I've dealt with my food issues and know that if new issues come up I am comfortable calling on some professional help.

The best thing I can say is to be totally honest in there. There's nothing wrong with finding out that maybe mentally you aren't ready for this. 

Kevin H.
on 6/13/12 12:58 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Mine was an hour long.  She asked me about my family, job, friends, history with food, etc.  I have heard of some folks not passing their test but I'm not real clear on what grounds they failed.  I imagine if you use food to comfort you during times of stress and emotional duress that would be a problem.  I have just always been a volume eater not really turn to food for stress relief so much .. so I passed.

ashley J.
on 6/13/12 2:01 pm - CA
VSG on 06/25/12
I was told thati had to do 4 appts for eval (the psych ended up only doing 3 because she said she "knew I was ready" lol).

1st appt:  Asked me how I got to where I was (the why), family impacts, diets I had tried, previous lifestyle, current lifestyle, my life as it is now.  When went to leave she said to think about what the surgery is, we would discuss it next.  Also had to take a test thing home for a psych eval or something

2nd appt: picked up talking about life now, then talked about my feelings about surgery, what the surgery is in my eyes, what it means to me, how it will affect my life etc. 

3rd appt: Talked about life after surgery, nutrition, my motivation, exercise plan (how I would work it in, etc), goals, etc. 

I know it was a bit different then others.  My psych was REALLY in depth...

HW:315 SurgeryW:297 CurrentW:212.4 GoalW:165**M1:-25  M2:-18 M3: -13.2 M4: -13.8 M5: -4.4  M6: -7.2  M7:-3   M8: -0   M9:   M10:   M11:    1 Year Out: 

Weekly weigh-in numbers located in OH Profile area
 Blog:   http://www.ashleysweightjourney.blogspot.com

CincySlvd
on 6/13/12 9:47 pm - OH
VSG on 04/24/12
Had to take a true false test and a multiple choice test.

One of the questions on the true/false was:  "I have been on the cover of several magazines lately".

It took all of my self control not to answer yes to that.

I mean, what if you had been on the cover of several magazines?
morgans
on 6/13/12 10:10 pm
VSG on 06/18/12
On June 14, 2012 at 4:47 AM Pacific Time, CincySlvd wrote:
Had to take a true false test and a multiple choice test.

One of the questions on the true/false was:  "I have been on the cover of several magazines lately".

It took all of my self control not to answer yes to that.

I mean, what if you had been on the cover of several magazines?

Love it!

Faith2012
on 6/15/12 8:26 am - MN
LOL I would totally be the one to answer yes to the magazine question! Do you think those things can pick up on sarcasim? Uh oh....I'm sensing a fail in my near future!

Thanks for all of the information everyone. I don't think I'm much of an emotional eater as much as I am someone that has an infatuation with baked goods and other carbs, so maybe I'll be okay on the "mentally ready" portion. I'm going to OA next week too so hopefully I'll learn lots there.

Can't wait to see what they say about my mental stability! Oh boy! 

Til next time......

~Karrie
Most Active