When did you reach goal? What contributed to you sucess?

seekingslimness
on 6/15/12 3:37 pm
VSG on 02/24/12
I am frustrated with my stall and I also wish I had lost more weight so far, so I think I may need to adjust my plan a little.  So for those of you that have reached goal, I have a few questions.

When did you reach goal?
Did you adjust your goal at any point? If so, why?
What basic plan did you follow food wise? Exercise wise?
How do you deal with head hunger/cravings?
What's the best advice you can give?

Thanks ahead of time everyone!
   NIKKI

BrittanyLinn
on 6/15/12 3:58 pm
I know it gets frustrating, but just remember that everyone has stalls, and as long as we stick to the correct amounts and the foods we are suppose to eat we WILL get to goal.

I had my surgery June 6th 2011, I started at 257 the day of surgery and reached my goal by the beginning of February. My goal was 150, but after I reached goal I lowered my goal to 135, just because I didn't want to be "borderline overweight" since I'm 5"5. Its a lot harder to lose weight after the 6th month mark, so I just increased my exercising and tried to eat a little more protein and I started my shakes again. Ive lost 15 pounds since February, and its still coming off just VERY slowly. I don't exercise as much as I would like to, and if i did I'm sure it would come off faster.  

But I have had A LOT of stalls, but I read Jillian Michael's tips on breaking a stall, and she said for 3 days eat a low calorie diet lots of water, and protein, and on the 4th day increase your calories by like 100 calories, and then start over again the next day. I did that every time I had a stall and it worked, it even prevented stalls when I started doing that continuously. But in our situation since we cant eat much and our calories aren't the same as the average person trying to lose weight.. On my "3 days low calorie" i would have my muscle milk protein drink for breakfast, usually 3 ounces of chicken for lunch, and some other type of meat for dinner. And on the 4th day when she said to higher your calories, I ate the same things, but I added snacks in between all meals, usually jerky for my first snack, nuts for second snack and like string cheese for my third snack.

And of course exercise is very important! Like I said I don't get to exercise as much as I would like, but when my weight loss really sped up I was walking about 4 days a week for about 1 hour, and 1 day a week I would go on a 6 mile hike, and once a week do some weight training. Personally I think walking works the best as for exercising.

But anyway I hope that helps! But whatever you do, don't get discouraged you can do it!! And those stalls are going to happen quite a bit but once that stall breaks your weight loss will most likely come back with revenge lol

frisco
on 6/15/12 6:28 pm

You told me in a previous post to not lose faith in you.......I didn't.....

I've read your posts.....

I think if you really want this...... you gotta get real.....

You been trying your way..... your stuck....

From this point forward it gets harder and harder.... not easier.....

If you don't tighten it up...... might not happen...... I know that sounds tough......but If I/we/many had to do it...why shouldn't you?

Your not alone......many here try alternative methods....... works for some.....Not so much for most.....

You know what to do......you been around long enough to know how most people make goal.....

Just lose the stubborn part and "GET WITH IT"

It's all you from here on out !!!!

Don't forget.... I'm on your side !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 11:35 pm
 One of my favorite Frisco pistes EVER.  Makes me want to hug your neck!
rhearob
on 6/16/12 2:45 am - TN
 Amen!  So perfect, and I totally agree with EVERY line.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

USAF Wife
on 6/15/12 8:36 pm, edited 6/15/12 8:36 pm
I totally agree with Frisco!

To answer your specifi questions:

When did you reach goal? 6.5 months post-VSG

Did you adjust your goal at any point? If so, why? Nope

What basic plan did you follow food wise?
600-800 calories per day
60+grams of protein
Less than 40grams of carbs (ALL CARBS) I got closer to 30grams until I was nearly 5 months out.

Exercise wise? None until I was 4 months out and down 80lbs, I started doing weight training, 3-4 days a week and cardio/ab/core workouts 1 day a week.

How do you deal with head hunger/cravings? I guess I got lucky here in a way. I had the band first for 8 months, so I battled a few head hunger issues with the band. I couldn't eat some days or I'd puke up food several times which kind of turns off the "want" to eat.. But, for the most part, I filled my sleeve with nutrient and protein dense foods that kept me satisfied and honestly, I never felt like I wouldn't be able to have a specific food ever again. The cookie and cake makers aren't going to stop making that crap just because I stopped eating those items. All those foods would still be there when I lost my weight and got control of my own food issues. I was just hellbent on making goal not justifying crappy food choices just because I had been good for XX days.

What's the best advice you can give? Don't justify bad food behaviors, set a meal plan, prepare food for work/on the go, measure portions, track your food, push fluids, and don't eat until full. Protein, protein, protein cut the excuses of "it's boring" or "I want variety" (not saying that's what you're doing, I just see it around here A LOT  and knew I couldn't get variety until I wasn't a fatty anymore), everyone wants variety, no one wants to be bored with food, and it's not difficult to get creative in the kitchen while preparing sleeve friendly meals. No excuses, either someone wants it bad enough to change or they'll stay stagnant and just accept it. I'm not one to accept halfassed attempts at anything. I surely wasn't going to halfass this endeavor.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Krazydoglady
on 6/15/12 8:50 pm - FL
I reached my surgeon's goal, a normal BMI,  at 10 1/2 months post-op. 

I adjusted my personal goal up from 121lbs (22 BMI) to 129.5lbs just recently.   I was advised 6 months ago to stop 'weightloss' for medical reasons after achieving my surgeon's goal. Being in a calorie deficit at my activity level had stopped my period.  I have settled in at 128-129lbs, 21-22% body fat. Weight is less important to me now than body compositoin at this point.

I ate 600-800 calories a day, less than 40g carb for the majority of my weighloss phase.  I did cardio 5-7 days a week and added strength training at 3 months post-op. That worked well until my body fat dropped pretty low and I started having hormonal issues.  Once in the 'normal' range, women need to start making dietary adjustments.

I don't get head hunger or cravings. 

Secrets to success:

Build good habits, and they will carry you though. Protein first, don't drink while eating, etc., are not just words. They're habits that I tend to fall back on when surrounded by 'sub-optimal' food choices.  Be active, exercise, strength train, and most importantly live life.  If your'e living life, food takes on less significance from an emotional point. It fuel. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 8:59 pm
I think Frisco and USAFWIFE have already given you the best advice that you are going to get on this.

I reached goal in 6.5 months losing 97 lbs. which brought me to 110 lbs.  I then continued to lose another five pounds and now maintain (for about 2.5 years) between 103-106 lbs.  I adjusted my goal downward because I felt better at this weight.  My food plan was the same as most other successful VETS, you already know the score on that one.  Just look back at USAWife's plan, it was the same for me and for Frisco and for Jimbo and for so many of us.

I have many, strategies for working with head hunger, some are purely behavioral and others are more nuanced and psychological.  You would really have to go back and re-read some of my earlier posts and answers for these, they are too numerous to describe here.

The very best advice that I can give you is to get a great plan and stick with it until goal.  It would mean surrendering "doing it your way" and sticking to what has worked for so many of us.  The truth is, it's going to get harder not easier and you will need every ounce of determination and commitment to make it, but you can make it and it is doable.  Hunger and cravings are beatable with a great plan and multiple strategies.  You can do it, I know you can.
Carmelita
on 6/16/12 12:37 am, edited 6/16/12 4:34 am - Four Corners, NM
rhearob
on 6/16/12 3:28 am, edited 6/16/12 3:28 am - TN
I will be honest, I hope you listen openly to the advice you are given this time.  Everyone here is interested in hellping you make this a success.

When did you reach goal?
A:  I reached my Surgeons goal at 7 months.  I am still working towards my own goal of 185.

Did you adjust your goal at any point? If so, why?
A:  I have a long detailed post on my blog about setting my goal.  The short of it is that I do not know what my final goal is yet.  I have a body composition analysis scheduled and I will be basing my final goal number on that.  It will be at least 190, possibly 185.

What basic plan did you follow food wise? Exercise wise?
A:  For Food:  Less than 600 calories per day.  minimum 60 g of protein a day, less than 40g of carbs per day.  Until maintenance no pork, red meat, starchy vegetable, bread, pasta, fruits, grains, etc.  NO EMPTY CALORIES.  Every calorie should have SOME protein.  I am for 20g of protein minimum per meal and caloreis as low as I can possibly get them.  You can friend me on MFP and see my food diary.  As much water as you can possibly get.  

For Exercise,  I do 3 days of cardio and 3 days of strength training with one rebuild day a week.  For Cardio I am doing a couch to 5k running program.  For strength I am doing modified versions of the P90X program.

How do you deal with head hunger/cravings?
A:  This is the hardest part of the journey, as I have expressed many time.  You have to focus on adressing the issues that cause you to turn to food.  We all have them.  You have to learn to look into your feelings honestly and then learn to deal with those feelings.  Getting a healthy relationship with yourself and food is, I believe, the only way to long term success.  Again, I have written several long posts on my personal blog about this.

What's the best advice you can give?
A:  See above.  I also would second Frisco - Get over your stubbornness.  Be open to the things that have been successful for the majority of people on here.  Don't look just for what you want to hear in support.  Be willing to be challenged.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views