Year surgiversary (late) and adventures in maintenance

LeahBea
on 6/17/12 5:17 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
It seems that time has gotten away from me! I apologize for not posting nearly as often as I should and not being more of a presence on this board. I do still read most posts every few days when my life simmers down enough for me to have "me time". I do spend more time over in the maintenance group these days, but I am still around, even if it's not as much as it once was.

I celebrated my one year surgiversary on May 31st and have spent the last couple months trying to figure out maintenance. While I knew that it wouldn't be easy, I don't know that I ever expected it to be this hard. In weight loss, I found a routine. I knew what was allowed, what wasn't allowed. I knew exactly what I needed to do to keep myself in check, keep losing and be successful. I can honestly say that the transition into maintenance has been a struggle. I've been having issues reaching carb and calorie goals most days and have continued to lose weight. My "final" goal weight was 145 lbs. I'm currently sitting at 135 lbs as of this morning (up a pound from my lowest weight).

I never intended to lose quite this much. Don't get me wrong, I'm still well within normal BMI ranges and doing well health wise, but I do not want to get any smaller. I have been having friends tell me with concerned looks on their faces that, "You're getting too small! I'm worried about you, eat a sandwich!" etc. And quite frankly, I'm concerned at how bony I'm starting to look!

I've changed a hell of a lot in the last year. I'm 195 lbs lighter for starters. I'm starting to realize that I have a lot of work to do on me... Not just the physical (though there is that as well!) but especially the emotional. I have body image issues that I need to confront, I have confidence issues that I need to work on and I need to be comfortable just being ME and accepting that girl for who she is. Whoever that happens to be.

All that being said, I'm incredibly happy with where my VSG and the journey that it started has taken me. I look a hell of a lot better. I'm healthier, which was the ultimate goal. And as far as I'm concerned, the happier part is ALWAYS a work in progress.

So, if you made it through the babble I've just laid out, thank you for all the continued support. It's been a hell of a ride! As always, I don't know where I would be if I hadn't had OH for support, answers to questions and the immense amounts of info I gathered from the forums. So for that, thank you!

And now, for the fun stuff... pictures!

At dinner with a friend, I make crazy faces... it's just who I am

Out celebrating a friend's birthday

Celebrating my one year surgiversary! And my first drink in over a year...

All of my tequila is gone! ::Sad Panda::

And... I'm a cheap drunk, lol

Lots of love everyone!

Leah

Sleeva
on 6/17/12 5:30 am, edited 6/17/12 5:30 am - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
SEEING YOUR PROGRESS REALLY GIVES ME HOPE, THAT I CAN DO THIS TOO 1...I HAVE BEEN APPROVED JUST WAITING ON DATE..WHAT WAS YOUR EATING PLAN? AND YOUR EXERCISE ROUTINE?....CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT YEAR!!!!!
   ROMANS 12:1 
   I beseech you therefore brethern, by the mercies of God,that you present your bodies a  living sacrifice,holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable service.

LeahBea
on 6/17/12 5:54 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
If I can do this, you most certainly can!

My eating plan was very simple. I stayed somewhere between 300-600 calories, 20g of carbs and 60g+ of protein a day. My calories were lower with my doctors approval, as long as I was reaching protein. I was kind of a carb nazi though... lol. Also, keep in mind that I don't eat meat so my eating plan is very different in that aspect of things.

I started running about 2 months out from surgery. I had a while there when I was having trouble with my legs which resulted in surgery on both of them and the recovery so there was a while when there was no exercise. But currently I run 3-4 times a week.

Leah

Sleeva
on 6/17/12 9:43 pm - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
I was just wondering how to not eat meat with the sleeve can you tell me how you go meatless and still get a variety of satisfying meals...and at what weight did you start running, that is another goal of mine.. thank you so much for the information..
   ROMANS 12:1 
   I beseech you therefore brethern, by the mercies of God,that you present your bodies a  living sacrifice,holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable service.

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 5:36 am
Great post.  Don't worry so much about the extra few pounds you have lost, they will almost certainly find you in year 2-3.  I originally wanted to lose down to 110 lbs but continued past that in early maintenance to 101 lbs. I then rebounded back up to my current range of 103-106 lbs. and this seems like a good place for me.  You too will settle in a comfortable place.  I remember being freaked out a bit and posting quite a bit about my fear that I could/would not stop losing, not so much any more.  :)  You've got this and you look adorable!
LeahBea
on 6/17/12 5:58 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Thank you so much for all of your support! You've been an inspiration the entire way!

I'm trying not to fight my body and see what is comfortable. I agree those pounds probably will find me, but I'm going to do my damnedest to make sure I don't end up back over 145 lbs!

Leah

Pura Vida
on 6/17/12 6:15 am - Costa Rica
 Hijack, elina why are not eating ribs right now?

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 6:44 am
That's funny!  The ribs are almost out, the corn and grilled veggies are on the table and everybody is starting to circle the buffet, waiting for the main attraction.  :)
(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 5:50 am
Thanks so much for sharing your story - especially the maintenance part! I'm coming to goal pretty soon. I'm glad to know that transition isn't always easy for others. I have been a bit worried (okay obsessed) about the transition. Good to know what you've gone through and how you've coped.
Thanks and congrats on such a successful sleeved life!

LeahBea
on 6/17/12 6:01 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
I was obsessed too. I kept telling people as I neared maintenance that the weight loss part wasn't all that bad, it was maintenance that I was terrified of!

It is what it is... I had a couple rough patches getting to my calorie/protein goals in weight loss towards the beginning, so I kinda expected the same for maintenance. I'll get there... Like always, I'm a work in progress.

Leah

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views