Your view, carb-wise, on fruit?

tanieanie
on 6/17/12 11:34 am - WI
I am just over a year out.  In the beginning I did the whole stay below 40 carbs a day thing.   I was dizzy alot as well as some other issues.  I went to under 80 carbs a day as long as they were natural (from fruits and veggies)   I felt better and had more energy immediatly.  This may not be the case for many people but it worked for me.  I added raw and steamed fruits and veggies in at about 3 months out and I am now just over a year out and I have lost 128 lbs and still losing although it has slowed down significantly now that I am only 9 lbs from my goal.  The only issue I have ever had is that I have very low iron and on 2 iron pills a day.  I would say talk to your nut and ask her.  

JV_ladybug
on 6/17/12 11:37 am - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 04/10/12
 Every so often, I'll make the Strawberry Cannolis from theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com for family or friends and I'll have like, two of them. It's a little treat that's not overly sugary and I feel satisfied and not deprived. Plus, strawberries have tons of vitamin C. As long as you don't go overboard with certain fruits, you should be fine.

Starting: 284. Op Day: 264. Current: 185.80. Goal: 180.
Main goal: To be able to take the "morbidly" out.
USAF Wife
on 6/17/12 11:46 am
Never was a fruit eater pre-op, never had room for anything other than protein and some green veggies in losing. Sweet stuff never appeals to me. I avoided it I was well into maintenance and even now eat it on rare occasions.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 11:52 am
The only fruit I would occasionally eat is blueberries and even that very rarely.  It just didn't fit my food plan.
byoungatheart
on 6/17/12 12:02 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/02/12 with
 About 3 times a week I put frozen strawberries in my shake - maybe .5 cup if even.  I have had 1 apple since surgery with cheese slices (3 seperate meals with one apple).  That's it for me.  

Starting weight 289, Pre-Op 274, Month 1: 252, Month 20 - 173  -   find me on myfitnesspal: newme1875

doggz109
on 6/17/12 4:20 pm, edited 6/17/12 4:21 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I eat very small amts of fruit 2-3 times a week.  Berries are something I add to my greek yogurt.

A serving for me right now would be 4-5 raspberries or ONE cut up strawberry mixed into the yogurt.

It feels like a treat, doesn't cause cravings, and I have lost over 100 lbs in five months....so not really affecting weight loss.

I would NOT eat more fruit than that...especially during weight loss.  And if I find it begins to affect me I would ditch it in a heart beat.

angel22z
on 6/18/12 1:56 am - FL

I do have fruit, I enjoy it and to be honest fruit is not what made me fat- it was my portions- that’s why I chose my surgery. I follow the rule of protein first so, I always do it with some sort of protein ie., couple slices of apple w/ peanut butter or cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto or 1/2 banana in a protein shake. Don’t get me wrong,  I don’t have it every day, or even every week- but I live in the tropics (South Florida) so every once in a while I enjoy a refreshing snack and I don’t think it has slowed me down weight loss wise.

SW: 288 CW: 231 GW: 145 Surg Wt: 268        
rhearob
on 6/18/12 4:58 am - TN
 Fruits are empty calories - so in my view a no-no during weight loss.  They have no appreciable protein for the calories.  Why spend 100 calories on a grapefruit with only 2g of protein when I could get close to 30 from chicken with the same ammount of calories?  Lets not also forget the 25g of carbs.  Thats half my days allotment.

Strawberries?  50 calories per cup (2 or 3?) with 0 g of protein and 15 g of carbs.

Oranges?  70 calories, 18 carbs, 1g of protein

And no - I don't do the net carbs thing.  I'll save fruits for maintenance - which is right around the corner.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013